KCBS Presentation Help

R

ruger1v

A little introduction, my name is Bill and I live in Pennsylvania. I compete in about 2 competitions a year with friends. One in NJ and one in PA. I have been backyard cooking for some time and would like to step up my so called competition cooking.

I need some help on what the KCBS is looking for in rib presentation and type of ribs that are used most in competition.

A picture sent to ruger1v@aol.com would be great.

Thanks in advance..

Ruger, I think you'll find a good mix of babybacks vs. spares. I prefer spares.

These are the highest placing ribs we've done so far:
obribbox_1.jpg

I liked these, too:
ribturnin.jpg

As a judge, I look for color, consistent look, clean presentation. I don't need to see the cut side of the meat, but I know some judges like that. I don't want to see oversauced ribs, either.

Heres a couple we did good on.
IMG_0146.jpg

This is one of our best rib finishes.
IMG_0002.jpg

If you want to try no garnish, which is acceptable, here's one.

Attachments

• Ribs 04-02-06.jpg
    Ribs 04-02-06.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 170
DAMN Greg!!! Those just made me hungry as hell and it's bedtime! LOL! GREAT color on that meat! Nicely done!

These are perfect score 180 ribs from the American Royal a couple of years back.....

Attachments

• 180_Ribs_American_Royal_2003.jpg
    180_Ribs_American_Royal_2003.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 144
What part of PA ya from ruger? Be sure to stop in to the Cattle Call section to innerduce yourself.

Solidkick said:
These are perfect score 180 ribs from the American Royal a couple of years back.....

All the ribs in this thread look great. Strangely, to me, Paola Greg's ungarnished might look best. Also, strangely, Mr. Kicks photo of the 180 AR ribs looks a little off to me, because the cut side looks a little sloppy. (The parallel ribs in that turn in look perfect to me).

Just goes to show you that judges can surprise us, and we may not have all the answers.

O.k????

Hey cracker..........these wouldnt happen to be the winnin ribs from lakeland would they??????????:roll:

ruger, thier is a comp may 18th to 20 in yardley pa. i'm already entered they are doing both backyard and full kcbs. you are more then welcome to hang out with us if you don't enter or even if you do.

All look great, I will be competing at BBQ on the Farm in Yardley/Newtown PA in May... I live in Fairless Hills SE PA...
One question about how to cut. Do I slice evenly between the bones or do I put the cut up close to the bone?
Pig Tippin.. is the name ot the team. We were so off on what to diid in the past, we did some homework and hope to do better. Thanks for all the help....

I slice 'em even between the bones.
I'll be looking for you guys at the BBQ on the Farm. We'll be there as the Backyard All-Stars.
Lots of local guys on this forum lately. We have Scott Mangold from Pinewood in Levittown too.

Edit: Oh, I just saw your post on rib rubs Bill. Is Scott your partner?

Last edited:
Scott an I are partners. Thanks fo rthe input... you guys better watch out this year.... top 15 for us... ha ha .....I will look you up there ....should be a good time with the entire weekend to hang out...

Back