Starting a new bbq competition

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
I was thinking about organizing a bbq competition to raise money and to promote RioFest, an arts/music fest that I volunteer for. Due to crow control, I dont want a bbq event during the festival but was thinking about doing one in the fall(2006). RioFest is in April.

Anyway, I know I can contact a state bbq association for how to organize an event, but my question is, can you make money running an event?

To be worthwhile, we would need to make a little net profit the 1st year and make between 5-10 K after that.

Is that realistic? What ratio of money comes from contestants/sponsors?

We do organize a number of Competition through out the year and you can raise money if you can have the foot traffic. It takes you setting up vending to sale to the crowds. Call if you like more ideas.
888-527-7661

There's a god article on the KCBS Web site about organizing contests. I didn't read really close but remember something about it saying if you're looking to make a profit from it, you're in trouble from the beginning. It's partly about sanctioning... here's the link:

http://www.kcbs.us/sanctioning.jsp

We do a competition at the Pike Place Market in Seattle we had foot traffic of 45000 for the day, in 3 1/2 hours we did sandwich sales that raised $5K serving one sandwich every 19 seconds. If you spread that over a day or two you can raise a good chunk of change.
Remember the 45000 was for their whole day and we only were drawing off of the traffic in that 3 1/2 hour period.
Where you setup and the number of other food venders will make a difference in your success.

Back