A Double Barrel Smoker... and a thank you.

rip1797

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has contributed to this site for taking the time to share their knowledge and experience. It is greatly appreciated. In turn, I would like to share my experience in entering the smoker world in hopes that it might help those who follow.

I have been lurking around this site for about two months learning all that I can about building a smoker and smoking meat. Ultimately I decided to build a double barrel smoker based on the different plans, suggestions, etc. that are here. Though at the end of the day I think I spent about twice as much to build it as I planned, it was money well spent.

The following is a list of ideas or lessons I took from everything I read. I am certainly not stating them as absolutes based on my vast smoking experience (of one day). They are simply consolidated (plagiarized) from other pages within. They just happened to work extremely well for me (and my friends).

Thoughts on the Smoker
  • Lump charcoal to start, seasoned hardwood after that…
  • Control the temperature by controlling the air you allow in…
  • Preheat your hardwood...
  • Thin blue smoke…
  • Disperse the heat…
  • Vent the cooking chamber from below the cooking grate…
  • Trust that everything is ok even though you can’t see it…
  • It turns out that the cheap thermometer that you buy as a grill replacement actually is 50 or 60 degrees off from the temperature on the grate…
  • Spend the money to get a wireless thermometer that you can carry around with you…
  • Put a brick liner in the fire box…
  • Put a grate in the firebox to allow air to easily feed the fire…
Thoughts on the Smoking
  • Let your wife make the rub and the sauce… she has better taste than you… (I didn't read that here.... this may actually just apply to me)
  • Cook a Boston Butt fat side down for the first hour and a half… and fat side up from that point on…
  • Cook the ribs bone side down for the whole time…
  • Say what you want about the 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs, I can’t imagine bothering to do it any other way… (just my two cents)….
Here she is...
IMG_0185.jpg

And the end result...
IMG_0186.jpg

Thanks again for eveyone's help. It has been a blast. I am really looking forward to day two!

Welcome aboard, food looks good and theirs so much good info in this place, and a lot of great people to meet.

I am currently in the process of making a double barrel smoker. It is great to hear the advice. Thanks.

Back