Ribs>>>>ribs ......ribs

LA 433

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
so i didnt make it to the butcher in time to get a brisket :sad: so i think im going to do some beef ribs and some spare ribs ....

can i do the 3-2-1 method with the spares ans beef ?? at 225-275
im smoking on a wsm

your spares will be perfect doing the 3-2-1 method at those temps. Beer ribs will cook quicker. I normally do them 2 hours in smoke then foil for the last 2 hours in some beef broth

SO CAN I COOK beef and spares at the same temp ??

whats a good way to do beef ribs ?

ive seen people foil them and ive seen not foil just smoke for 4 to 5 hours

could someone point me in the right direction to smoke some beef ribs ??

Certainly can

I like to rub my beef ribs the night before with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and some chili powder. You don't have to do it over night, it just only makes the flavors better..l put them on the smoker for 2 hours at 275. Remove and place them in foil with some beef broth, wrap them up tight and put them back on the smoker for 2 more hours. Sauce them lightly with something sweet, I tend to like a vinegar sauce with some fruit jelly, apple jelly has been my new thing lately. Put them back on for 10-15 min to let your sauce caramelize then let rest for 10 min or so before you slice, then pig out!

I treat them like brisket on a stick :)

Season them, put them in the smoker until probe tender, wrap and hold in a cooler for a couple of hours.

LA 433 the 3-2-1 method is meant for cooking @ 225°. Shorten the time (particularly time in foil) as you cook hotter.

so i have a wsm and i wanted to know if it matters which rack of ribs goes on top rack or bottom ??

i was thinking spare rib on top and beef on bottom ??

so i put the beef on bottom and spare on top running at 225 ...

ill do the 3-2-1 for the spare but im still not sure if i should just smoke the beef the whole time or do two hours smoke and 1 hour foil with beef broth then 1 hour smoke again ??

There is no one way to cook ribs. You can go unfoiled the whole cook at 275-300, and have perfectly tasty ribs. You could 3-2-1 at 225 and have perfectly tasty ribs. You could 3/4-1-.5 and have perfectly tasty ribs. you could brine them and have perfectly tasty ribs. You could boil them and have per....wait nvm.

The point is - there are multiple ways to skin a cat, you need to find yours, and that takes experimenting. I personally (for pork ribs) throw them on at 300 until the meat ALMOST pulls from the bone but hasnt really done it yet, then i foil until the meat pulls back half inch or so on the end of the rack, then i sauce (you may or may not sauce) and leave them till the sauce is glazed. this is roughly the 3/4-1-.5 way

so the beef ribs came out awesome but the spare ribs over cooked but i did the 3-2-1 at about 225-240 and when i took them out the foil they were already to soft :(

i put 1/4 cup of apple juice in the foil .....was that to much ??

next time ill do spares at 275 2-1-1 i think

Beer ribs, I gotta try some of them!:laugh:
your spares will be perfect doing the 3-2-1 method at those temps. Beer ribs will cook quicker. I normally do them 2 hours in smoke then foil for the last 2 hours in some beef broth

Cook the meat not the clock. These are GUIDLEINES...just ideas at times. Each rack i s different and each cooker is different. Cook the meat and stop looking at the clock. I cook until pull back and good color, foil until bendy, pull and finish glaze over direct heat. Cook the meat. Not the clock.

My "standard" is 2 - 1.5 - 1 at 275, but my last cook, I had one rack that wouldn't cooperate and it went 3-2-1.5 before it got done. The other one right beside it on the WSM was "break in half when you pick it up" at the normal time. You just have to keep an eye on it, especially when it gets close.

Back