Ruby's Famous BBQ Joint - East Meadow, NY

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Went to Ruby's Famous BBQ Joint in East Meadow tonight with my wife, daughter and parents...

I don't want to steal any of PigTrip's overall observations based on his recent visit as he has an upcoming website review (which he was kind enough to give me a sneak peek to help with my decision to go there or not tonight)..Gary's reviews are a labor of love and are much more detailed and well thought out than the rambling that follows...

We ordered :

Blooming onion appetizer (very good - onion was not overcooked so it still had a bit of a crunch)

I had the Big Beef Rib - It was very good. Moist and properly cooked. Meat was flavorful and nice smoke flavor too. Just wished the exterior had more flavor from a good rub that works well with beef.

My wife had the babyback/sparerib combo (with original sauce) - I thought babybacks were moist and cooked to proper doneness but lacking in flavor. Spareribs were not cooked enough and were too tough. Neither seemed to have much smoke flavor and were generally grey in color.

My parents ordered had the Pig Out platter which was a combo of dry ribs, brisket chicken and pulled pork. - Once again, babybacks were decent, spareribs were not cooked enough. Brisket was bland and dead in appearance. Tasted and looked like a well done london broil. Minimal presence of smoke flavor. The sauce on top did not help the cause. Pulled pork was stringy and not a lot of flavor or smoke. The sauce helped and worked well with it. I did not try the chicken.

Mac & cheese was below avg. Baked Beans avg. Cornbread was very dry (my daughter had a hard time swallowing it and started to cough - we thought she was going to have an asthma attack at first - Luckily she just had a hard time getting it down without a large gulp of water).

The place was packed. 45 minute wait at 7PM. Service was very attentive and friendly. Our orders came out in less than 10 minutes after we placed them w/ waitress.

I was also very surprised that they did not have traditional sweet tea or even a pre-made commerical tea like Snapple etc. Only unsweet tea witg sugar on the side.

Nothing outstanding but nothing horrible either. The beef rib was the best of what I sampled.

Would I go back ? - With family or others wanting to try it - Yes - especially as it's close to home.

If I had a craving for BBQ other than my own - No.

Last edited:
Vinny, thanks for the kind words, but your review is pretty detailed. Actually, it compares similarly with mine, which I posted today: http://www.pigtrip.net/review-RubysFamous.htm.

If Ruby's can get the smoke levels consistent and a little more rub and flavor across the board, they may be onto something. But for Long Island BBQ, the bar is sadly so low that they already easily cleared it.

I have links back to your review both in my own review and from my links page that has links to all the BBQ Brethren barbecue restaurant reviews for the Northeast.

Back