View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default RS Jones (near Wantaugh)

RS Jones Merriuk

I was in WantaUgh yesterday and decided to stop by RS Jones for some take-out. I had heard about them, but had never been in. They had a sort of upscale honky-tonk motif happening. Faux cow hide table clothes, lots of western regalia, etc.

They have an eclectic menu with mostly southwestern dishes. Their BBQ options are limited, but they do have a daily BBQ special. The special I got was pulled pork. I had a choice of sides, so I picked up some jalapeno cheese grits. I also ordered a cup of chili.

The order was to go, and I had a half hour drive before I got home. The food was still hot (an understatement) when I got there.

The food was not cheap. At all. A pulled pork platter with one side was $18.50. On the other side, the order was plentiful. They give you LOTS of food.

Let’s start with the bad. The grits were nasty. Unfortunately, I have never had grits before. I have no idea if I don’t like grits or if I don’t like THOSE grits.

Moving up to decent, the salsa that came with the order was pretty good, but a little dry and could have used a kick. Maybe more lime juice and jalapeno. The salsa had black beans, which was a nice twist.

Also in the decent range was the chili. It was very meaty and the meat had physical integrity (unlike chili where the meat has disintegrated). Again, it could have used both more flavor and heat.

The pulled pork was surprisingly good. It had a smoky flavor and it was in nice ‘chunks’ (not shredded and uniform, which often indicates Sysco). I didn’t get any bark, but I also didn’t get too much fat. It was too much for one sitting, so I’m going to have it for lunch.

If I have some extra bucks to spend I would go back again.

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote