Smokin Sloes: Northport, NY

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Restaurant: Located in a two store strip mall in Northport on 25a (Fort Salonga Road). Just East of the Dairy Barn and McDonalds. Roughly 1/4 mile East of Pumpernickels.

The restaurant is both take-out and sit-down. There are roughly 10 tables with 4 chairs a piece. Each table has a roll of paper towels.

They use an electric Southern Pride smoker.

I ordered a sliced brisket sandwich with two sides (mac and cheese/ baked beans) to go. The total was $14.00 and change.

The sandwich was a good size. An average sized bun, but plenty of meat. The brisket was flavorful and had plenty of smoke although it lacked a smoke ring.

The mac and cheese used a nice, thick noodle and an average cheese sauce. It wasn't my favorite item of the meal. I wouldn't order it again. The sauce had an odd 'burnt' taste.

The baked beans were very, very different and not bad at all. More savory than normal and certainly less sweet. They used three beans (kidney, black and cannolini?) and large chuncks of onion without any meat product. Very interesting. It could have used more liquid, imho, but it was enjoyable.

The BBQ sauce was great. Memphis style; a little loose, a little spicy, a lot good.

The service was fine and the order came up quick. The owner wasn't in and the person that took my order wasn't too knowledgeable about the BBQ. They were personable though.

I was sort of prepared to dislike this place, but it wasn't bad at all.

Lack of a smoke ring is probably due to it being an electric smoker and too humid in the smoker. Little far for me to visit. But I am glad to hear about any successful authentic Q joints in the area.

Based on your review Michele and I will give it a shot.

Back