• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

3 - two - 1

clikover

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
(Regarding STL):

I have read all the posts (and recipes in other places on the web / books) recommending the 3-2-1 method...but I just can't figure out how TWO ever works?!? It always seems WAY, WAY too long in foil to me.

The first time I used TWO, the ribs were TOTALLY overcooked.

I have since experimented with everything from 30 minutes, to 45 minutes, to 1 hour and back down again. Time & again, it seems to me that the MAXIMUM is 45 minutes, unless you want to seriously risk having WAY over-cooked ribs. (I'm talking pork here.)

This is on a Good One Marshall smoker with a target temp of 225, that might fluctuate from 215 - 250.

I was killing some time tonight searching around on the forums to see if anyone else had similar experience and it seems nobody else has posted about TWO being WAY too much time in foil. Everyone always seems to reference "3-2-1", which seems like a recipe for DISASTER, to me. I wanted to see if others have had similar experience to me?

Thanks,
Clay

A lot of people have had the same experience as you. I'd venture to say that most find that 2 hours in foils is way too much time. The times that I've foiled, 1 hour has been the limit for me.

yes, way too long for me.
your temps would be a big factor in this.
i usually cook at 250.
i dont foil anymore. i just dont open the lid for 4 hours.

Clay - actually, these days, I see so many posts here saying the exact same thing about too long in foil and everyone just chooses to adapt or not using foil any longer.

3-2-1 is a guide, not a rule.

Not sure who started it, but for all we know there pit thermometer could have been off by 40 degrees... :wink:

I do not foil my ribs, only did it a couple times and they were over cooked and even soggy. I have quit using foil on anything except in a pinch on time, or if something just is not getting there. Probably used it twice in the last two years now. Just try cooking them with a good coating of rub. Then about 15 min before you pull them put a very light coating of curlys bbq sauce on.:thumb:

In the Netherlands we don't have Louisiana cut ribs and what we usually get is baby backs, my interpretation of 3-2-1 is 2,5-1,5-0,45 (glazing on the last 45 and 15 minutes)

Yes. I did 3-2, never made it to 1. They were done. Today I'm skipping the foil. Looking to do 4 hours at 250 in the UDS for some STL spares.
Going to use toothpick & bend test.

Me too.:thumb:

Often when people cite the "3-2-1" method they fail to make any adjustments for the size of the racks they are cooking. As stated before it is a guide, not an iron clad rule.

My learning on the Weber was by trial and error;used to foil ribs after the color was established cooking indirect,then after a few beers glazed them unfoiled.Haha this was after ruining a few racks by trying to paint them with store-bought sauce from the first......
Went to foil one day,forgot that I had run out of Reynolds Wrap-have not used foil on anything cooking since-only used for resting meat.
I wish I'd found this forum years ago.T

I think foil takes the taste out of the ribs. But I do like to foil when I take them off and put in cooler.

I foil everything. :icon_blush::icon_blush:
Sorry, I guess there had to be a dissenting opinion here somewhere. :laugh:

3-2-1 is a guide line. I have great results with 2-1-1 unless I get an exceptionally meaty rack. By my thermometers I am cooking around 250. Yes they come out of the foil a little soft that's what the last 1 is for to firm them up and sauce them. In the last hour you have options if they are more done than you expected you can shorten the last hour. All that said 2 hours in foil has always been to long for mine. I keep trying to not foil but when I test the ribs and they are so tough I grab the Texas Crutch. Some day no foil I just have to be brave!

Back