fire safety

dummy que

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
after takeing advantage of sale of cowboy lump at home depot i used it to start my smoker at 4:30 am monday morning the 4th of july came in sept. whith fall ariveing and all the dead leaves on the ground i was amazed no fire i usaly use brickets royal oak or stubbs is it normal fo lump to spark up this bad the bricket will spark a little bit but wow this was a true fire hazard

Not unusual with Cowboy lump, including lumps of concrete and stones mixed into it. I bought my last bag of Cowboy about a year ago, never again.

Blessings,
Omar

All 3 brands of Lump I've tried pops n sparks....could be dangerous.......u could get/make a fine mesh screen to go over fire till it quits popping.....I keep a fire Extinguisher on Patio with my grill/smokers too.

Not unusual with Cowboy lump, including lumps of concrete and stones mixed into it. I bought my last bag of Cowboy about a year ago, never again.

Blessings,
Omar

Might want to try another "new 2013 model" bag of cowboy because it has drastically improved! It contains actual pieces of char-wood now. And not the scrap wood flooring either, like really tree wood! :thumb:

To the OP

Yep, that's the nature of lump.

regardless of what you use, while playing with fire you should have a water hose near at hand. mine is within reach at all times. if i'm nervous I water down the surrounding area.

It does pop and crack but I've never considered it to be anything to actually worry about. But my cookers are in the alley. Thanks for the post!

regardless of what you use, while playing with fire you should have a water hose near at hand. mine is within reach at all times. if i'm nervous I water down the surrounding area.

Same here. My hose bib is about 3 feet from my cookers. I always get the water turned on before lighting just to be safe.

Ditto the fire extinguisher and garden hose nedarby at all times. No experience with Cowboy lump but I've seen too many results of BBQ fires that got out of hand.

the only lump I have every used that did not pop and spark (some more than others) is my home made lump

that does not spark or pop one bit. I dont really know why

It could be the old fireworks that commercial lump manufacturers add in their processing. :mrgreen:

It could be the old fireworks that commercial lump manufacturers add in their processing. :mrgreen:

well your kinda close...

the orange sparks come from the charcoal dust on the lump. the dustier the lump the more sparks you will get.

in fireworks they use "airfloat charcoal", fine charcoal powder, that will float in the air with a slight breeze. this creates a few effects mainly orange sparks.

cowboy is better now than it used to be, that is for sure. Most lump charcoals spark though.

Back