View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #87
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I installed all my hardware except for my side and lid handles. I cut 4 -3/4 inch holes around the bottom. The bottom cooking rack is 24.5 inches from the charcoal grate. The top rack is 5 inches from the bottom rack.

Did a second burn yesteray and noticed what a difference the air intake holes make. I knew they would it was just interesting seeing how much easier the fire was to start and the difference in the smoke/heat.

Today I am going to step the bottom holes out to 7/8 and screw in the pipe nipples. I hope to get it brushed, sanded, and painted as well.

One kind of disappointment... After putting the bottom cooking grate at 24.5 inches I had to put the top cooking grate right at the top of the drum (my drum is only 35 inches high). I don't think it will be a huge deal as I will do most of the cooking on only one rack anyway. Plus with having the Weber Kettle grill lid I will still have some capacity on the top rack... just not what I was hoping for.

Already looking for a taller drum... This was a pretty easy project!!

I'll post pics after painting and after the first cook tomorrow!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote