Up or down...

2000milesofsmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure there as been a post on this subject before, but wanted to get some advice on fat up or down for brisket. Does it matter if you are cooking slow and low or hot and fast? I'm trying my first fat down today, wish me luck....

What are you cooking on? I cook on a BGE and typically cook fat side down.

It's an offset smoker. Today, I trimmed the fat down to a 1/4 inch all the way around and got the smoker to around 300 degrees. Living in San Diego, whole brisket is hard to find and usually pricey. Found some USDA Choice whole packers for $1.99/lb. Figured I could experiment a little today. I have always smoked my brisket fat side up with the idea the fat will baste the meat.

Lots of views on this. I like fat cap toward the heat source (which most likely means down on your offset). I think the fat cap is better served to insulate your meat from high heat than by melting some flavor down into it.

The most important question has not been ask. This would be what should I cook a left or right side brisket.:roll: Have done them both ways a number of times and really can't see a defference since I will flip it at least once during the cook. I will say on my uds with no heat diffuser I will normally go with fat down for the first part of the cook, because the fire can be a little difficult at the begining of a cook sometimes, and this lessens the chance for it to burn.
Dave

The most important question has not been ask. This would be what should I cook a left or right side brisket.:roll: Have done them both ways a number of times and really can't see a defference since I will flip it at least once during the cook. I will say on my uds with no heat diffuser I will normally go with fat down for the first part of the cook, because the fire can be a little difficult at the begining of a cook sometimes, and this lessens the chance for it to burn.
Dave

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm gonna go with the brisket that has come from the left side of the cow.

You can determine this by this by laying the full packer skin side down, and the point should curve from left to right.

What do I win??

Fat cap down and point to the fire box first 4 hrs then warp in BP Fat cap up point to the fire box till done. The fire box must be on a true bearing pointing at Lockhart.

This is a shot in the dark, but I'm gonna go with the brisket that has come from the left side of the cow.

You can determine this by this by laying the full packer skin side down, and the point should curve from left to right.

What do I win??

You win a 4 night and two day vacation in downtown Detroit.:confused: Wait that was a trick answer, full packers don't have any skin. :roll:
Dave

Back