Brisket Observations

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've recently been checking a few whole packer briskets and all were different cooks but trimmed and cooked the same methods. I wonder if anyone else has ever monitored results and seen fluctuations like this? I'll be doing a pork study next but thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Brisket

18.8lbs cryovac brisket
14lbs after trimming
7.75lbs edible meat

55% yield of trimmed weight
41% yield from cryovac weight
---------------------------------------------------------------

22.3lb cryovac brisket
20.8lbs after trimming
10lbs edible meat

48% yield of trimmed weight
45% yield from cryovac weight

---------------------------------------------------------------

15lbs cryovac brisket
14.4 after trimming
8lbs edible portion

56% yield of trimmed weight
53% yield from cryovac weight

I'd stay with the 12-14lb range. Cooks faster and better yield.

Sounds right to me. 40 yield is standard

On second thought yoyr trimmed weights are low to me. I wish i could get away trimming 2 lbs of fat

Last edited:
Sounds right to me. 40 yield is standard

On second thought yoyr trimmed weights are low to me. I wish i could get away trimming 2 lbs of fat

We've always figured a 45% yield and yes the last two briskets there did not need a lot of trimming while the first one was very excessive. That is part of what set me on this research. We see a very broad range on how much needs to be trimmed these days. I'm going to continue to monitor the trimmed weight vs finished product because I believe the cryovac weight these days is unreliable when figuring how much brisket I need for the job at hand.

That's interesting. Just out of curiosity, what grade is the beef you're getting? I found a choice brisket at the local restaurant depot type store for $2.49/lb, but it looked like it would need a lot of trimming. Edges were brown, a lot of fat, etc. However I picked up a prime packer from Costco that was $2.99/lb and looked perfect. Hopefully I wont have to trim much on that one. I may start doing the same thing you are just for comparison's sake. Good info!

We've always figured a 45% yield and yes the last two briskets there did not need a lot of trimming while the first one was very excessive. That is part of what set me on this research. We see a very broad range on how much needs to be trimmed these days. I'm going to continue to monitor the trimmed weight vs finished product because I believe the cryovac weight these days is unreliable when figuring how much brisket I need for the job at hand.

I hear that. It may just be my anecdotal experience but i feel the best yields (and quality) are in the 12-14 lbs range.

That's interesting. Just out of curiosity, what grade is the beef you're getting?

Theses are all choice briskets. Prime in my area will set you back $7-$9lb buying through food supplier like I use with US Foods. I'm an hour from any Costco or Sams and don't make that run for meats like I did years ago.

I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two, and I don't have a scale capable of measuring the difference post-cook. However, in my experience I always end up trimming more off a choice so I would figure the yield of cryovac weight vs cooked weight would be higher for the prime. No real science behind that, just my observations.

I'm buying through a couple of different commercial suppliers, Sysco, and a regional one.

Mostly, we getting CAB Choice briskets, the price has ranged from $2.80 to $3.50 this year. We were getting CAB Prime earlier this year, in the $3 to $3.60 range, but then about May/June it got harder to get supply of the Prime, so we moved to CAB Choice, and they are great.

We also use 1855Beef.com, which are Upper Choice. They are also very good.

Our yield is right around 50%. I have some more details from recent cooks, which I don't have on hand yet.

Back