home-ground burger meat

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
I have lately been seeing boneless chuck cuts at the local supermarket for well under $2 a pound, more like $1.39 - this got me to stock up on chuck meat to grind for burgers for our crowd of carnivorous kids. The burgers I'm getting taste wonderful but don't hang together very well. Is there any trick to grinding chuck (including the fat) to get hamburger meat that forms patties that don't fall apart? I don't want to compress them together too hard ..

seattlepitboss

Are you cooling the meat in the fridge/freezer before you pat them or are you just making patties immediately after grinding the chuck?

What about some egg or bread tapenade to bind it all together, sort of like with a meat loaf (this will also help the burgers retain moisture, even if cooked to well-done). When I grind myself I always make sure the meat goes into the freezer for 20 minutes prior to the grinding. If it's really hot inside you might want to throw the ground meet back into the ice box for a bit to firm up.

Just the meat should be fine. I put the meat back into fridge for a little bit before making the patties. After making the patties, I put them back in for a couple of hours. This seems to firm them up and keep them together. I season the outside with slat, pepper and garlic. Bacon doesn't hurt either.

Back