• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Test Smoking A Fully Cooked Butt Half Ham (Prons)

S

smokerpete

My contribution to our family Thanksgiving feast this year is Ham. For years I have always just reheated fully cooked Hickory Smoked Hams in the oven or an 18-Qt Roaster Oven at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes per pound. The Hams turned out OK but often were dry. After reading Forum posts on smoking a Ham on a wood pellet smoker-grill I decided to practice to see the results for myself. The general consensus is that Spiral cut Hams tend to dry out ... You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find an old fashioned Smoked Ham that wasn't spiral cut! Used an 11.7lb ready to eat Hickory Smoked Butt Half Ham.

HamTest1.jpg

Preheated my MAK 2 Star to 225ºF with Hickory pellets. Initial estimate was that it would take about 9 hours to reach an Internal Temperature (IT) of 140ºF. Trimmed some of the excess fat and lightly scored the surface to aid in Hickory smoke penetration.

IN at 9 am with an IT of 38ºF.

HamTest2.jpg

OUT at 4 pm with an IT of 141ºF. Took 7 hours vs my estimated 9 hours to reach my desired IT of 140ºF.

HamTest3.jpg

Rested the Ham under a foil tent for 20 minutes. The scoring gave it a nice look and I couldn't wait to see the results.

HamTest4.jpg

The money $shot ... A few slices of Hickory Smoked Ready to Eat Fully Cooked Butt Half Ham with a side of scalloped potatoes, and some Crescent Rolls.

HamTest5.jpg

The Ham turned out extremely moist and the copious Hickory Smoke from the MAK 2 Star added some great flavor. I was truly impressed with the moistness but for Thanksgiving I might take the IT to 150ºF vs the 140ºF. Inner portions of the Ham, though fully cooked, had that slight rubbery texture that I attribute to meat not cooked properly. Either 140ºF is a bit low or I incorrectly placed the meat probe. Any suggestions and/or comments?

that looks Awesome! I'd really like to do this for TG, but don't want to infringe on the inlaws dinner.

Looks wonderfu,l it could be me but I don't care for spiral cut hams

Try Dr. Chicken's double-smoked ham recipe from the database. I did it last year for the office Christmas party and it rocked!

Cheers,
Braddog

Nice work! :clap2: Leftovers are great with eggs, on biscuits, in grilled cheese, chopped up in beans, etc....

I've been doing that with pepper rind hams from Petit Jean in AR. Farking awesome! Have also done it with country hams as well -again, awesome :hungry:

Back