Smoking my first Butt. Advice appreciated

V-wiz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Gang, im pretty damn excited here, im sitting at work thinking how im going to smoke the pork butt. I'm finally going to set aside some time to bbq, and hang out with the guys. I plan on using a 4-5 (max 6) pound butt. I really don't want to go any longer than 6-7 hours cooking time. What are some recomendations you can make, any links you can direct me to? what should i rub it with, what should i inject that butt with, etc etc. Cut the fat cap? leave it?. Use cherry? apple? Hickory? or combine? BTW This link here makes my jaw drop to the floor. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106582

Thanks alot guys. :clap2:

[ame]http://youtu.be/owAlv4XT2dQ[/ame]
Don't get too fancy your first time, rub it then on the grill no injecting etc

I'd say if you follow Phrasty's method you can't go wrong - he knows what he's doing.
Personally, I'd use apple wood, but that's the Q'ers preference.
My other advise is start before your 6/7 hr timeframe, just in case.
BTW, what are you cooking on?

Rinse it under cold water, pat dry, apply rub, Smoke at 275, when the bone wiggles easily wrap in foil and allow to rest for 1 hr, pull and eat. at 275 your looking at about 1 hr per lb and no stall they always power through it.

You can cook an 8lb butt in about 7 hours at 275 (not including rest/hold). Here's a step by step for a successful first cook.

1. trim obnoxious fat.
2. inject. It does not need to be some fancy mixture. apple or white grape juice will do just fine. Do it 4-6 hours (or even overnight) ahead of time.
3. Rub. some rub right after injecting, others rub only 30-60 minutes before putting on the smoker. Either will work for you in this case. Use any of the great commercial rubs that you read about on this site.
3. Spray. every hour with apple or white grape.
4. Wrap. When butt when internal temp reaches 165. Put some liquid in the foil. Yes, apple or white grape is just fine.
5. Done for pulled is 195+
6. Vent foil for 10 minutes to stop the cooking process.
7. rewrap and store in cooler until ready to eat. (1 hr min to 4 hours)
8. pull. sauce lightly. serve additional sauce on the side. enjoy.

I'd say if you follow Phrasty's method you can't go wrong - he knows what he's doing.
Personally, I'd use apple wood, but that's the Q'ers preference.
My other advise is start before your 6/7 hr timeframe, just in case.
BTW, what are you cooking on?

Got it, thanks. Ill be using the Brinkmann vertical smoker.

Rinse it under cold water, pat dry, apply rub, Smoke at 275, when the bone wiggles easily wrap in foil and allow to rest for 1 hr, pull and eat. at 275 your looking at about 1 hr per lb and no stall they always power through it.

So easy a caveman can do it. Thanks budd.

You can cook an 8lb butt in about 7 hours at 275 (not including rest/hold). Here's a step by step for a successful first cook.

1. trim obnoxious fat.
2. inject. It does not need to be some fancy mixture. apple or white grape juice will do just fine. Do it 4-6 hours (or even overnight) ahead of time.
3. Rub. some rub right after injecting, others rub only 30-60 minutes before putting on the smoker. Either will work for you in this case. Use any of the great commercial rubs that you read about on this site.
3. Spray. every hour with apple or white grape.
4. Wrap. When butt when internal temp reaches 165. Put some liquid in the foil. Yes, apple or white grape is just fine.
5. Done for pulled is 195+
6. Vent foil for 10 minutes to stop the cooking process.
7. rewrap and store in cooler until ready to eat. (1 hr min to 4 hours)
8. pull. sauce lightly. serve additional sauce on the side. enjoy.

Good advice, however i dont think ill spray, i plan on leaving the door closed.

I wouldn't get fancy with a first attempt, so you have a baseline to figure out what you want to try next. I'd consider injecting getting fancy. Butts have so much internal fat, they make their own moisture, just like spare ribs.

1st attempt, I'd stick with Blu's "rub cook eat method".

I'd leave the fat cap on and cook it fat down. Mustard isn't needed, lots of people apply rub directly to meat.

I like using zesty Italian dressing as a slather.

The one "extra" thing I might consider is putting the butt in a foil pan after 2 hours or so to collect the juices. Add the defatted juices back into the pulled product for extra yumminess. But it's not necessary.

I'd leave the fat cap on and cook it fat down. Mustard isn't needed, lots of people apply rub directly to meat.

I like using zesty Italian dressing as a slather.

The one "extra" thing I might consider is putting the butt in a foil pan after 2 hours or so to collect the juices. Add the defatted juices back into the pulled product for extra yumminess. But it's not necessary.

That sounds excellent. Since leaving the fat cap on, do you cut it off once the cook is done and ready to eat or do you fix it up in the meat.. I dont know about having that thick fat in the meat

leave the cap on during the cook. Remove it when pulling. (it should fall off easily). You don't want to serve a pile of fat with your meat.

leave the cap on during the cook. Remove it when pulling. (it should fall off easily). You don't want to serve a pile of fat with your meat.

This. And I also like to use my gloved hands to pull the meat, so I can cull any unrendered fat globs within the roast. Careful, it'll be hot! Even after a 4 hour rest, they'll still be too hot to handle. I usually break apart the roast into a few large pieces and let it cool for 5 or 10 minutes before completing the pull process.

That sounds good, i need to buy those gloves too, didnt find any at the store.

That sounds good, i need to buy those gloves too, didnt find any at the store.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Insulated/dp/B0007ZGURK"]Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Insulated Food Gloves, Pair: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

In a pinch get some regular thin cotton gloves and pull latex gloves over top of them. Better than nothing.

Gosh I love this forum and site.... always learn something new. Keep the fires burning my friends.

Back