Lard, Cracklins and Pork Steak

Yep, you need to take a break. After you make a cake of cornbread with those cracklins in it, then have a bowl of cornbread and milk. That's what I'm talkin bout!!!

My 82 year old mother eats cornbread in milk several times per month. Boy was that a flashback. Thanks.

Those jars of meat reminds me of the first time I went elk hunting. We took five cans of spam, 12 cans of smoked oysters (removed and placed in a jar of olive oil) two loaves of bread. Two guys, ten days in blizzard conditions and ten gallons of water. And Jack Daniels in case one of us caught a cold :))

If it were to break out in a man made or nature made disaster you could live a long time on one of those jars. Pretty smart.

Last edited:
Way fine! Those cracklins are the bomb. Never thought to invert the jars tho, totally makes sense. Will be doing:thumb:

That looks awesome Jeanie! Great photos! What kinda of camera do you use to get such great photos?

I didn't even know you could can pork! Learn something new all the time! What will you do with the canned pork? Is it like for stock or something? Sorry if that's a dumb question. This city boy has no knowledge of such things...

Like you said, Maybe not the healthiest, BUT, that sure is the tastiest post I've seen
in a long time.

You and Tonybel, I tell ya, You both make some beautiful posts.

Wow, I really like the potato idea! I just received an awesome set of cast iron and that looks like a great way to break one in. Do you mind sharing how you made them?

It's heallth food for the soul! :clap2:

Really amazing work Jeanie, and I like that bacon jalapeno rub too - great stuff!

A most outstanding post Jeanie! :thumb:

Thank you Mytmouz, Bob and Phu!

Sliding Billy, I could have eaten that whole batch of cracklins in one sitting. Had to hide them. Thanks!! :grin:

Fantastic! - Canned pork makes great tacos.
Love those too Smoke Dawg! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks!! :thumb:

My 82 year old mother eats cornbread in milk several times per month. Boy was that a flashback. Thanks.

Those jars of meat reminds me of the first time I went elk hunting. We took five cans of spam, 12 cans of smoked oysters (removed and placed in a jar of olive oil) two loaves of bread. Two guys, ten days in blizzard conditions and ten gallons of water. And Jack Daniels in case one of us caught a cold :))

If it were to break out in a man made or nature made disaster you could live a long time on one of those jars. Pretty smart.

Adam that sounds like a great trip! :becky:
Thanks!

Way fine! Those cracklins are the bomb. Never thought to invert the jars tho, totally makes sense. Will be doing:thumb:

Thank you Blue! The inverted way works good. When I can pork or lard I wipe the rim of the jar with white vinegar first. Sometimes pork fat can cause a problem with the seal and the vinegar helps get rid of it. Good luck to ya and thanks again! :)

Yep, you need to take a break. After you make a cake of cornbread with those cracklins in it, then have a bowl of cornbread and milk. That's what I'm talkin bout!!!
Garrett that's what I had in mind when making these cracklins. With cornbread and milk, it's a whole meal! Thanks!

That looks awesome Jeanie! Great photos! What kinda of camera do you use to get such great photos?

I didn't even know you could can pork! Learn something new all the time! What will you do with the canned pork? Is it like for stock or something? Sorry if that's a dumb question. This city boy has no knowledge of such things...

Thank you SmokeFan! I use a Kodak Easy Share. Had my first one for several years and it finally gave out. Just bought this used one off Amazon for $30. I'm really happy with it, it's a point and click camera.

I use the canned pork for casseroles, tacos, tamales, in gravy over noodles or rice. In sandwiches...hmmm I know there's more. lol It's handy to have on the shelf and frees up freezer space. Thanks again !!

Nice work! I've not made cracklings or lard for a while. The last batch I used the skin from some homemade bacon, now that was special :thumb:

Anyone know how long vac packed crackling will keep?

wow...busy day, and nice lookin' grub to show for it!

Thank you Matt! :)

Like you said, Maybe not the healthiest, BUT, that sure is the tastiest post I've seen
in a long time.

You and Tonybel, I tell ya, You both make some beautiful posts.

Thanks Friend! :grin:

Wow, I really like the potato idea! I just received an awesome set of cast iron and that looks like a great way to break one in. Do you mind sharing how you made them?

Thank you Mrtodd! I usually do not measure when making the tatoes but I layer sliced potatoes, minced green onions, cooked crumbled bacon and cheese in a skillet. Then I make a white sauce. Melt about 3 TBs butter, cook more minced onions in the butter, add 2 cloves of minced garlic, cook til tender.
Add 3 TBs flour, cook a minute, then add about 2 cups of milk. The mixture shouldn't be too thick. I season with salt and pepper, then pour over the potatoes, add more milk to bring the sauce halfway up the potatoes. Add more cheese and cook in the oven or smoker until hot and bubbly and the tatoes are tender.
Hope that makes sense.... please let me know if I didn't explain it well. Good luck and thanks again!

It's heallth food for the soul! :clap2:

Really amazing work Jeanie, and I like that bacon jalapeno rub too - great stuff!

A most outstanding post Jeanie! :thumb:

Greg thanks! I like that thought.... food for the soul. :becky:

Thanks again everyone!

Nice work! I've not made cracklings or lard for a while. The last batch I used the skin from some homemade bacon, now that was special :thumb:

Thanks Dave! I would think it would keep vac packed in the freezer for at least 6 months. I know pork fat goes rancid faster than beef or chicken. Let me know how it goes, I'd like to know!

They say there's a great feast in heaven. I cannot imagine even the best of the saints eat better than you, Jeanie. Great post. Thanks.

They say there's a great feast in heaven. I cannot imagine even the best of the saints eat better than you, Jeanie. Great post. Thanks.

Dan that's very kind of you to say....Thank you! :)

:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:Absolutely fantastic I am speechless Everything looks fantastic

0353ad2c-5244-4b16-b8cc-2b4066a7d944_zps213d960d.jpg

:faint:

About 5 seconds - It takes me that long to get my knife out and open it up! :thumb:

Back