First Tri-tip

BevoBurn96

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was fortunate to run across a USDA Choice tri-tip at Kroger on Friday. I guess they recently just started stocking these as I hadn't found one before and I'd seen references to them frequently here with the Brethren. After reading up on how to cook them AND noting that there is a throw-down in the works, I decided to give it a try (pun intended).

Decided to insert garlic into the tri-tip:
IMG_2370.jpg

Then rubbed it down with Paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and salt:
IMG_2372.jpg

I loaded up the pit with oak charcoal and a couple mesquite lumps. I've opted to do a reverse-sear at 250F.

Setup for indirect grilling:
IMG_2373.jpg

Checked the progress and inserted the temp probe:
IMG_2374.jpg

Completed the reverse sear and pulled it out to rest:
IMG_2375.jpg

The fire's still hot, so cut up some broccoli and purple cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil and garlic/salt.
IMG_2376.jpg

When it comes to Tri-Tip just keep two things in mind....

1. Don't try too hard to impart flavor (TP just does not need it)
2. Don't over cook.
Trust me, the only time I have had bad Tri-Tip (twice) is because of the above.

Yours looks extremely hittable!

Q Junkie, you're absolutely right. That was a very flavor-filled cut of meat! First time I've ever eaten one. It has a number of similarities to prime rib (but with more flavor). Will be looking for more. Here are the slices :clap2:
IMG_2381.jpg

This will be my TD entry :bow::
IMG_2380.jpg

Biscuits made with almond milk and bisquick.

My goal was to cook at 250, but the pit settled at 300 today. I stepped away for too long so I didn't get the dampers turned down when I should have, but I rolled with it. Once that 1500 lb pit gets hot, it stays that way for a while. The tri-tip was on for about an hour. I put in the thermometer about 30 minutes in and flipped it. My intention was to sear it around 135 based on what I read here on the Brethren. It ended up being 140 when I actually seared it. I then let it rest and hour before serving it for dinner. It was just shy of 3 lb of beef.

one of the best tri-tip cooks I've seen. the garlic in the slices coupled w/the colors from the broccoli and cauliflower make a really attractive plate.

I did my first tri-tip today as well. Taste turned out pretty good. Wife would have liked it to go another 10 degrees or so. Definitely plan on doing it some more.

Yours looks very tasty!

Back