View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
smokinrack
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
The early models did have a silver top which was reported to be flimsy. My 2012 Lowe's model (Akorn) has the heavier black top vent. I think it's safe to assume that (at least thru the big retailers) the silver tops have worked their way through the system and won't be in stock this year.
Not quite true, I bought mine 2 months ago at Menards and they had one newer model and a stack of old ones on sale.Good news is you can tell by the picture on the box which one you are getting, they will show either silver or black on the top vent.

Quote:
Another twist: I've read that the current models have some sort of factory-applied sealant around the bottom air intake. Now this could be a good thing (no user mod necessary) or bad (one more user mod to remove half-assedly applied factory sealant).
True, mine had it and I did the mod with the BGE felt anyway, mostly ust to tighten the slide up, when I took it off I didnt know there was sealant behind it.IMO it was a half ass seal at best, very thin line and seemed to be missing in spots.Not saying the mod was entirely neccassary I just found the slide to be pretty sloppy without it.
smokinrack is offline   Reply With Quote