• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Flexible Skewer's Are Pretty Cool

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A Father's day gift from my daughter. Did not have anything really cool looking to grill but wanted to try them out. There is a lot of real estate room on these. Work great on the Egg and good for any round cooker. These could have taken quite a bit more to fill them out.

Picture024-1.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Firewires are awesome! I bought 4 of them for my Kamado Joe and they fit lots of food and fit the grill great. I found less stuff broke as I was putting it on than my old straight skewers.

Enjoy!

I saw those for the first time the other day while reading an article on the top 10 things people waste their money on for BBQ. And that was in the top 4. And all i could think of was wow those are cool they could be so handy depending on what you were cooking on.

Looks like you have already started enjoying them. i can't wait to hear more about them cause i would like to get me some.

I saw those for the first time the other day while reading an article on the top 10 things people waste their money on for BBQ. And that was in the top 4.

Lol, do not believe everything you read. Being in the top ten things people waste their money on for BBQ, I bet they did not mention Matchlight!

I got some of these a few weeks ago at Williams Sonoma while we were shopping in ft worth. I finally picked up peppers and sirloin steak to try em out this week some time. Looked like they would work great in the egg.

One other issue with those things, you have to make sure and keep the pointed tip end inside the cook chamber so it gets up to sufficient temp to kill any contaminants that may be there from the raw meat when it was threaded on. Some of the photos I saw of them in use, had the skewer end outside the cook chamber. That'd be a no-no for me.

any trouble with food getting caught between the "needle" and cable joint?

There is a small amount of resistance, depending on what you ate threading on. No big deal though.

One thing I dislike about them is that it is more difficult to flip the food than with conventional skewers. You can't just rotate the wire as the food doesn't rotate with it. Have to use tongs to flip every piece.

I noticed that too. But like FFPEREZ said, if you give them the right flip most of the pieces will turn.

One other issue with those things, you have to make sure and keep the pointed tip end inside the cook chamber so it gets up to sufficient temp to kill any contaminants that may be there from the raw meat when it was threaded on. Some of the photos I saw of them in use, had the skewer end outside the cook chamber. That'd be a no-no for me.

Good point! I plan on always keeping my tips inside the cooking chamber. Don't want those metal tips laying between my gasket on the Egg.

I'm saying when you pull the food back off it looks like there may be a catcher where the probe attaches to the cable. Looks like it may be harder to clean than a standard ole metal skewer. Do you find that to be the case?

I'm saying when you pull the food back off it looks like there may be a catcher where the probe attaches to the cable. Looks like it may be harder to clean than a standard ole metal skewer. Do you find that to be the case?

1st time using them, but for whatever reason these were cleaner than the normal skewer's after the food was removed.

i've had those a while and they work great. i won't go back to traditional skewers. i have had no problems threading them, removing the food, flipping the food or cleaning them.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1681326 said:
1st time using them, but for whatever reason these were cleaner than the normal skewer's after the food was removed.

Great I just might get some! :heh:

Great I just might get some! :heh:

for whatever reason, the food seems to slide off and they look to be already clean. i always give them a good rinse with teh 155 degree water that comes out of the sink faucet though.

I have had mine for about a year now and they are great! one word of advice. the original instructions said to hang the probe over the side of the cooker so it stays cool and you can use it to turn the food. The Firewire people later realized that since you are threading the probe thru raw meat you had better leave the probe on the grill over the fire for at least a while to kill any bacteria. I really like mine and use them often. Regarding cleaning, I loop them in a circle and throw in the dishwasher. They come out clean every time.

Back