Tips, Tricks, and Cooking Hacks...

I realize most are aware of this by now, but using cotton liners under my nitrile gloves was a game changer for me.

Oh for sure. That was a trick I learned less than a year ago from the Brethren and haven't looked back.

When using a cutting board only let the very tip of your knife touch it, your knife will pull thru meats and vegetables with ease and stays sharp. It is taking me a little bit of training to remember to not set the blade down flat

Can you elaborate on this? First time I've heard of it.

When using a cutting board only let the very tip of your knife touch it, your knife will pull thru meats and vegetables with ease and stays sharp. It is taking me a little bit of training to remember to not set the blade down flat

I can't envision only touching the board with the knife tip. :confused:

Traditional slicing technique uses a rocking motion with the blade - tip down, but that still entails contact with a good part of the blade on the board.

I do cringe, however, when I see people scrape cuttings off the board with the cutting edge of the knife. That kills an edge quickly.

I can't envision only touching the board with the knife tip. :confused:

Traditional slicing technique uses a rocking motion with the blade - tip down, but that still entails contact with a good part of the blade on the board.

I do cringe, however, when I see people scrape cuttings off the board with the cutting edge of the knife. That kills an edge quickly.

So true! One of the best things I've bought for the kitchen has been a bench scraper. I end up using it all the time. From taking chopped veggies from the cutting board to a pan to forming and folding biscuits to chopping things on the blackstone. That $8 thing is a workhorse and makes life a lot easier

Vertical Finishing Method for Grilling Chops

I noticed many years ago that when I grilled chops, whether smaller cuts like lamb loin chops, or larger cuts like T-bone and Porterhouse, the meat near the bone was always a bit underdone when the rest of the meat on the chop was fully cooked.

So, my solution ever since has been to turn the chop upright directly over the fire near the end of the cook so the meat near the bone is cooked as evenly as the rest of the chop. This method has never failed me.

Here's a few pics to illustrate:

Porterhouse, cooked on a blazing hot Kamado:

DSC_2798_zps95c38f75.jpg

Pork chops:

DSC_0548.jpg

Lamb Chops:

DSC_0038.jpg

In the event you can't get the chop(s) to stay upright, you can always use something to prop it up, like a small brick or stone.

+1 for the cotton under nitrile gloves for handling / pulling meat. I did invest in a pair of rubber, heat resistant gloves for when I'm doing larger cooks to help with moving meat around (i.e. from the smoker to wrapping back to smoker).

I also have the Pampered Chef Baking Stone that my mother-in-law bought us years ago. This thing has been great for getting a good roast on veggies, treating it just like cast iron.

I use a double walled stainless steel wine cooler for keeping tongs, spatula, etc in while cooking. It keeps the greasy utensils and mess confined and only has a footprint of about 5". Easy cleanup when done, no grease dripping on the deck or utensils in the way on the cookers work surface.

I would love to try that one but to date I have been unable to find nitrile gloves big enough to go on my hand with the cotton gloves on. A xxxl fits me skin tight as it is.

Robert - Easy as can be!

- 1 Cup melted Bacon Fat (Or a combo of Bacon Fat and Vegetable Oil)

- 1 Whole egg plus an additional egg yolk.

- Juice of 1/2 Lemon (About 1.5 TBS)

- Pinch of Kosher Salt to taste

- Couple of Grinds Fresh Black Pepper

- Teaspoon Dijon Mustard

- Optional (3 peeled raw Garlic Cloves for Garlic Mayo)

Put everything except the fat into a bar blender and pulse over low speed to combine. Once incorporated, turn the blender to medium and slowly start dripping the fat into the running blender from the top. It should start emulsifying into a thick sauce. Scrape down the sides with a spatula a couple of times and keep going until all of the fat is incorporated. Without Garlic it should keep for a couple of weeks in your refrigerator. With Garlic I would use within 3 to 5 days refrigerated.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying this. Just never thought to use bacon grease.

Robert

Last edited:
Another bacon tip.

Fryed or baked/roasted both have one problem. They take time.

If you need bacon in a hurry the microwave is the only way. While you can cook it in a plate on paper towels with a paper towel cover I prefer to use the utensil in the link below so I can save the grease. Put a paper towel over the bacon and its splatter free.

About a minute per piece of thick cut bacon. The only problem is you have to have a big microwave to use this thing.

https://www.nordicware.com/microwave/bacon-racks/large-slanted-bacon-tray-and-food-defroster

Here is what I used in the microwave. But mostly do it in the oven as I like the finished product better.

https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Bacon-Cooker-Original-Reduces/dp/B0002HSFB2

Robert

Here is what I used in the microwave. But mostly do it in the oven as I like the finished product better.

https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Bacon-Cooker-Original-Reduces/dp/B0002HSFB2

Robert

I've used one of those for many years and it was my go to when I needed bacon quickly.

I now have an air fryer and use it instead. It's quicker, makes better bacon, is easier to set up and clean up, and the grease is easy to pour out. No need for paper towels.

So now, my bacon preference is:

1-on the kettle
2-in the oven (i have the time)
2a- air fryer (i have no time)

I keep a stack of "el-cheapo" paper plates next to the stove. (You know plates that are so crappy you have to use three to hold anything). I then use one to set my whisks and spoons on when making sauces. Makes clean up much easier.

I know this has been around for a while but for anyone who may have missed it.

Dry brining.

Salt steaks, chops, etc generously on both sides. Let sit out of refrigerator to come up to room temp. Allow 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness. Don't worry about the liquid that comes out. It will reabsorb.

When ready to cook, do a quick rinse and pat dry.

Other thoughts.

I have come to rely on soup bases for seasoning soups and gravies primarily. I l use Beef and Chicken regularly.

Tones, from Sam's, makes good bases. Better than Bouillon does too. BtB is available in Kroger and other stores. BtB also makes ham base that's useful for pots of beans and peas. Goya makes a dry granular ham base that's convenient.

If you try soup base for seasoning be sure to allow for it when seasoning as it is quite salty.

Back