• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

48 or 60 lang

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Im trying to decide whether to go with a 48 or 60 lang smoker. What do you think? Will I kick myself if I dont go with the 60?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS

If you think you will kick yourself if you don't go with the 60 then get the 60!

If you are gonna kick yourself for not getting the 60, then I would totally rule out the 48 and look at the 60 and the 84.

unless your going into business or have a huge family the 48 can handle a lot. I have had 4 packers with a pot of beans with room for at least 4 more packers, also put a whole case of baby backs on without using the top rack.

unless your going into business or have a huge family the 48 can handle a lot. I have had 4 packers with a pot of beans with room for at least 4 more packers, also put a whole case of baby backs on without using the top rack.

Are you sure you don't have an 84? :wink: There is no way I could get 8 packers on my 48. I think even 4 would be maxing it out.

You are correct - I have the model with the removable extra shelf (basically a long skinny rack with legs.) I have thought about taking the smoker to a local welder and having a slide-in rack added.

Edit: I just saw your pix... very nice!

I completely agree. I have a smoker based on a 120 gallon tank, essentially a Lang 48, and I routinely cook for 30-40 people with no problem. Bigger is not always better if 90% of the time it'll be 90% empty.

Consider the 48 deluxe with live smoke. That can give you some additional capacity.

If you are not sure go BIG... I was in the same situation and decided to go with the 60 deluxe... glad I did...
bth_TBranchCook10_zps26c69df5.jpg

and a little prOn
TBranchCook_zpsd756afd7.jpg

You won't be sorry!!

Not too long ago I had the same question. Someone told me that you can always use less of your space but you can't use anymore space than what you have. The fire management was basically no different notwithstanding the bigger size. Now I'm glad I got the bigger size.

I'd go with the 60 myself, and for smaller cooks have a UDS or something like that around.

While I don't have the Lang, when it comes to smokers, I like the "Pick out which one you think will be the right size, then buy the next size up". So maybe you should pick the 60 and get the 84?

I would get the 60 if you think you might want it. Spending more money up front on something that will last a lifetime to get some extra future room is money well spent to me.

If even think you need the 60, go with the 60. I contemplated the 36 and the 48, opted for the 48 and I'm glad I did. I now sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the 60, but the 48 is fine for cooking for the neighborhood. Let's put it this way, you're already invested. If you decide to upgrade to the 60 later, it'll cost you a lot more. It's easier to spend a little more now for what you want than a lot more later for what you need. Enjoy!!!!

Back