Brisket Bark

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First post here. Brisket question. I'm known for steak, pulled pork, and ribs (in that order) and haven't done very many briskets--maybe only 6 ever. I did a whole packer on July 4 and the meat was great, and the bark was flavorful, but it was moist--almost mushy--from the wrap. So it was just a double instead of the home run it could have been.

Do you guys unwrap and let it sit naked after wrapping to reconstitute the bark? If so, how long? And do you take it all the way to probe tender before doing that?

Thanks.

Did you wrap in foil or paper?

No wrap at all will give you the best bark. Wrap in un-lined butcher paper will give you 2nd best bark.

Last edited:
No wrap at all will give you the best bark. Wrap in un-lined butcher paper will give you 2nd best bark.

I prefer going nekid as well :mrgreen:

Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.

Did you let it cool unwrapped for 5-10 minutes before holding? Need to make sure the temp comes down enough to stop cooking.

That is a fallacy I often see repeated here. Even at 130* the meat will keep "cooking" as in the fibers and connective tissue will continue to break down. The process is slower at lower temps, but if it is cool enough to stop cooking you are in the bacteria danger zone.

As for the OP, what kind of cooker? Why did you wrap in the first place?

As has been said, the best bark will come from cooking end to end unwrapped. If you have to wrap to speed things up or to protect the outside, butcher paper will harm the bark less than foil but will also not help with those issues as much as foil.

If you keep sugar out of the rub, keep the cooking temp from getting too high, and your cooker is fully indirect heat, your bark may turn very dark but should not burn and will not need wrapping.

Anyone that says you can't get a good bark cause your wrapping in foil is wrong. Cook normal, wrap to color, finish to feel. When your brisket is done, vent the brisket. Then place back on the pit for 30-40 mins to reset the bark.

That is a fallacy I often see repeated here. Even at 130* the meat will keep "cooking" as in the fibers and connective tissue will continue to break down. The process is slower at lower temps, but if it is cool enough to stop cooking you are in the bacteria danger zone.

As for the OP, what kind of cooker? Why did you wrap in the first place?

As has been said, the best bark will come from cooking end to end unwrapped. If you have to wrap to speed things up or to protect the outside, butcher paper will harm the bark less than foil but will also not help with those issues as much as foil.

If you keep sugar out of the rub, keep the cooking temp from getting too high, and your cooker is fully indirect heat, your bark may turn very dark but should not burn and will not need wrapping.

I used the PBC (which, I understand usually causes an uproar of one kind or another). I like the idea of no wrap--just trying to make sure it was done in time and was moist since my previous efforts were often dry.

Anyone that says you can't get a good bark cause your wrapping in foil is wrong. Cook normal, wrap to color, finish to feel. When your brisket is done, vent the brisket. Then place back on the pit for 30-40 mins to reset the bark.

Anyone who says you have to wrap to color is also wrong.

I don't wrap mine either, love the bark I get each time.

I used the PBC (which, I understand usually causes an uproar of one kind or another). I like the idea of no wrap--just trying to make sure it was done in time and was moist since my previous efforts were often dry.

Not sure why the PBC would cause an uproar. If your setup exposes the brisket to the glowing coals, you may need to wrap to protect it from charring. If you have a deflector or barrier, you shouldn't have to wrap.

Wrapping won't necessarily make it more moist. It does reduce evaporation which allows the meat to heat up faster and therefore cook faster, but hotter meat also means more moisture squeezed out of the muscle fibers. If I am not behind schedule, I don't give a hoot about a stall and I don't wrap briskets. If it looks like getting it done in time for dinner is in question, I wrap and up the temp to speed things along. It is a tool that can help you but is usually unnecessary.

What is "wrap to color"?

Some people feel the need to wrap after the outside hits a certain color such a mahogany brown. They cook until the outside has the color they want and then wrap to keep it from further darkening. The fallacy is that a brown bark is better than a darker bark or that a dark bark is burnt.

Not sure why the PBC would cause an uproar. If your setup exposes the brisket to the glowing coals, you may need to wrap to protect it from charring. If you have a deflector or barrier, you shouldn't have to wrap.

Wrapping won't necessarily make it more moist. It does reduce evaporation which allows the meat to heat up faster and therefore cook faster, but hotter meat also means more moisture squeezed out of the muscle fibers. If I am not behind schedule, I don't give a hoot about a stall and I don't wrap briskets. If it looks like getting it done in time for dinner is in question, I wrap and up the temp to speed things along. It is a tool that can help you but is usually unnecessary.

Sounds like solid advice. I'm going to try again without the wrap. Thanks.

This thread is full of absolutes

the best bark is the bark an individual prefers. Maybe i dont like it hard and crispy

Also some things work for people and cant be explained why. Wrapping, venting, resting we do what works......my brisket comes oit best when i flip them.....so i do.

This thread is full of absolutes

...the best bark is the bark an individual prefers. .

Is that an absolute? :)

Agree. Do what you and your family/guests like the most.

I personally cook to the color I like, vent for a few minutes during the wrap, and finish in foil. I also vent a few minutes after it is at the texture/temp I am happy with.

My previous brisket attempts were just flats from Walmart of unknown quality, and my bbq skills weren't honed. But it was enough to make me brisket-shy for a couple years. So I resolved to get quality brisket from Costco and wrap. Better result but not perfect.

Back