Wood- Wet or Dry?

smokeythebama

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Recently had a discussion about wood. Wet or Dry- Let me know which you use and why.....

Dry

Are you talking about on the chargriller? If you there's no reason to have wet wood. It you are using a gas grill you might consider wet wood, but really there isn't any reason use wet wood.

I use dry chips under the charcoal basket of my UDS. Falling charcoal bits smolder in the chips. I would use chips but everytime I buy a used smoker I always get a pile of different wood chips and now I have a chitload of them. Might as well use em up.

I use dry chunks in my Weber kettle and use soaked chips in smoker packets in my gasser. It is just neater and less damaging to the gasser to use chips in packets.

I use dry chips under the charcoal basket of my UDS. Falling charcoal bits smolder in the chips. I would use chips but everytime I buy a used smoker I always get a pile of different wood chips and now I have a chitload of them. Might as well use em up.

I would be interested in knowing more about this technique, please elaborate.

I have been using wood chunks no bigger than my hand with charcoal, but recently I bought a bag of logs from Academy to try a higher wood ratio. Never used water soaked wood.

Dry- unless I'm using alder, then I prefer the wood green.

When does green wood become dry?

The reason I ask is that there is a 25 foot pecan “stump” in the back yard. It really should be used for better things, like bbq. Would it be good to go freshly cut or should it dry out?

When does green wood become dry?

The reason I ask is that there is a 25 foot pecan “stump” in the back yard. It really should be used for better things, like bbq. Would it be good to go freshly cut or should it dry out?

That all depends on what type of wood you have. I'd give Pecan six months, split, stacked, with a cover on the top only, in the summer full sun. In wet weather it will take much longer to come down below 20% moisture content.

In my opinion, cutting the logs to length and letting them season whole is the way to go. Split them as needed. The wood will stay in better shape that way with no risk of it getting mildewed and stinky. I ruined almost half a cord of Pecan using improper seasoning technique.

In my opinion, cutting the logs to length and letting them season whole is the way to go. Split them as needed. The wood will stay in better shape that way with no risk of it getting mildewed and stinky. I ruined almost half a cord of Pecan using improper seasoning technique.

Really.....huh....
I just scored a couple of big apple logs. Was planning on splitting them (just because I thought they'd season quicker split). Never thought of "shelf life" though. What if they were stored indoors (or at least out of the rain)?

As far as the intent of the thread.......I always use dry chunk as well. To date, I've only been able to get apple and maple chips (no chunk for sale around here) so if I use them (and I think about it) I'll try to soak chips....but honestly....don't usually think about it. They smoke just fine without soaking.....just always think they'll last longer if I soak. Maybe not.

wet or dry?

I've always used seasoned (dry) wood when smoking on anything big enough to accommodate chunks and larger; wet (green) wood takes longer to heat up because you have to boil the sap out of it before it starts to burn. So you are effectively cooling your fire when you add wet wood by consuming BTUs to dry the wood unless you pre-burn it.

To ABQ: I also have a pecan tree in my backyard (along with two oaks and a mulberry) and always season the wood for at least a year before I'll smoke with it, but as Zilla indicates, it depends on your local conditions as to how long it will take to dry wood to a "seasoned" state. My woodpile sits in the shade along a fence row and probably takes longer to season as a result.

dry
stored outside in a dry shaded ventilated place with bark up (if I get some already split)
once I split/cut into small chunks they get stored in a plastic tote in the garage

Back