Need help adding new handles to my pit

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The handles on my mobile pit are horseshoes and they suck! I'd like to add new handles, but I'm not sure what to use. I like the stainless coil type, but I am looking for other options also. So, where can I get the coil type or some sort of other type? I'd like to get creative with them, but I'm not all that creative. Thanks brothers.

33795372_scaled_225x169.png

Always thought this guys design was cool.
http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/Standard_Pits.html

Axes, good idea! I've seen them as door stops, but never as handles. See, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Our team name is The Smokepranos so I was thinking of trying to think of something that could tie that in a little.

Some baseball bat handles or maybe you can find some old hand guns!!:-D
Some tire irons!!

I just bought stainless spring handles online from here. Most of his prices are decent but things like the thermometers you can find cheeper elsewhere.

Some baseball bat handles or maybe you can find some old hand guns!!:-D

I though about the guns thing, but I live in Cali and some DB would probably complain. Maybe for the door stops I could use guns and for the handles mini baseball bats! Hmmmm

I just bought stainless spring handles online from here. Most of his prices are decent but things like the thermometers you can find cheeper elsewhere.

I've seen them, but how do you attach them?

Forget about the DBs, use the guns.

Sorry, I meant FUGEDABOUDIT!

If the guns are out, I live close enough and have spent enough time at the Bada-bing, so I could go there and cut you a length of stripper pole for a handle.

Forget about the DBs, use the guns.

Sorry, I meant FUGEDABOUDIT!

If the guns are out, I live close enough and have spent enough time at the Bada-bing, so I could go there and cut you a length of stripper pole for a handle.

Nice, that would be awesome, little stripper poles!

I'm warming up to idea of guns, but where would I get something that is either inop(maybe) or fake, but looks good enough to use. I wouldn't want to part with too much scratch. I'm picturing two pistols on the back of the barrel pretty much pointing right at your face if you were on the door side as a door stop!

Bob is a good guy and a member of this site. Give him a call and tell him you are a member here. Some of his prices might be a little higher, but he's a great guy and has always given me extraordinary service. He'll get my business when his prices are in the ballpark, and he has what I need.

I saw those, liked them and showed them to a friend- His comment was how do you keep the wood handles from shrinking and falling out. I didn't have an answer.

Cross cut wedges! :biggrin:

I'm sure after some time the wooden handles will loosen. Just need to buy replacement handles and hammer em in. I'm thinking hatchets with the metal or compressed fiberglass handles might be stronger.

trampoline springs make a good handle tack weld to a piece of round stock or rebar

Inexpensive handles can be made from chipping hammers from Harbor Freight. Not exactly a wow factor but functional.

blankimg.gif

Inexpensive handles can be made from chipping hammers from Harbor Freight. Not exactly a wow factor but functional.

blankimg.gif
I have made several handles out of then really make a good handle actually they look pretty good

Back