Bison Short Ribs w/pron

Absolutely AWESOME! I eat about 9 buffalos to every cow out here as it's easy to find, but I have never seen buffalo ribs! I am going to have to call Olivers in the city and see if I can get some of these. Now I know who'll I'll be asking for cooking advice! Thanks for tutorial man!

....and here is the half plate I left pretty much intact. 2 hours smoke--2 hours wrapped--20 minutes to sauce and sear. I am still amazed at the amount of shrinkage but they still came out quite moist and tender. These puppies are so rich. I am glad I saw that cucumber at the store and had the wife whip up a pickled cuke salad to counter the heavy meat. This was my first time smoking buff rather than just grilling. I have a short list of changes for the next time but am more than ready to do this cut again. The appearance/plating obviously needs some work but that wasn't high on my priority list.
I want to thank everyone for the encouragement. I actually lost sleep last night over this cook. Never again to fear the beast!!!!

Attachments

• Finished bones 3.jpg
    Finished bones 3.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Finished bones 4.jpg
    Finished bones 4.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Finished bones 5.jpg
    Finished bones 5.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 122
They both look great.
Thanks for the write up and also the flavor texture profiles

looks great! love the smoke ring on the first set almost penetrating all the way.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Like I said, I will lower my temp to around 205-210 next time but other than that I was pretty pleased with the outcome. I used oak for an hour and a half then hickory for the last half hour of smoke. I really liked the profile that combo gave.

Hmmm I wonder how much a buff brisket weighs? On to the next cook boys.......

Look tasty!

Interested in the pickled cucumber salad...care to share the recipe? Wife loves cucumber but I'm not much of a fan of raw cucumbers. A pickled cucumber sald might be a good compromise. ;)

Interested in the pickled cucumber salad...care to share the recipe? Wife loves cucumber but I'm not much of a fan of raw cucumbers. A pickled cucumber sald might be a good compromise. ;)

There are many variations, this recipe is pretty typical

Look tasty!

I keep it real simple. Sliced cuke and added balsamic and Italian dressing to taste. DUBBAGA's posted recipe sounds tasty too.

Looks awesome! Never had those but I sure would like to try those!

Back