Starting a fire in the G2 Party

EJHOFFY

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have read as many posts as possible. I have the standard fire basket from factory and the XXL basket. I would like to hear how you pros start your fires. I am looking for the best way to start the fire that would get me a long steady burn with both style baskets, with and without a Guru. Thanks

i just make a U shape with my coals and leave a large area in the corner open, place my chunks in, light up a chimney about 3/4 full and dump it in my empty corner. 8-10 hours with consistent smoke in BW Fatboy. I use Guru and place lit coals on guru side.

I'm no pro, but I fill my basket with unlit coals, then fire up half a chimney and scatter across the top.
Once I get about 25* from target temp I put on some small splits of cherry &/or pecan and let the smoke clear up.

I fill the charcoal pan and light the front corner closest to my BBQ Guru with a weed burner. The fire spreads from there and creates a nice consistent burn.

I would just put 2 weber paraffin cubes in the corner opposite of the guru in the ash pan and slide it back in. Lit pretty easy.

Weed burner is bad ass tho

I got two patio bricks and made a snake path. I line the path with a layer of lump then put my wood chunks in then I top off the snake line with more lump burying the wood chunks. I light three Weber Paraffin cubes at the start of the snake. It takes about 45 minutes to get to temp.

I have a Party model and I have been getting 9 hour + burns at 230 degrees.

++2 on a bad ase weed burner though

I have the XXL basket for my BWS Party as well and have tried all of the above methods. I always use my Guru but would do the same without.
What I finally settled on is I fill the XXL, remove enough from the "FRONT" to fill my Weber chimney 3/4 full. Pour the lit charcoal in the front empty space.

Using the above method gets me up up temp(275) in the shortest amount of time.

Last edited:
Back