• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Vision Kamado - Indirect Setup

It is a strange set up. Once you go through the ordering process it gives you several options. The cheapest estimate was around $17. They are going to contact me with an exact cost prior to shipping. I will let you know when they do.

I took a 16" Pizza pan and used my pipe crimpers to bend the edge straight up and it gave me a 1" edge around the pan.

I can fill this with water or sand to shield the cooking surface and temper the heat.

Cookin' Along

It works really well for me.
Jed

I took a 16" Pizza pan and used my pipe crimpers to bend the edge straight up and it gave me a 1" edge around the pan.

I can fill this with water or sand to shield the cooking surface and temper the heat.

Cookin' Along

It works really well for me.
Jed

I am surprised that the pizza sheet stands up to the heat. I have been using an old fry pan that I removed the handle from. After 9 months it is almost unusable. The heat has really warped and bent to metal. I hope the cordierite disc holds up better.

btw nice back yard.

Shipping was $23 plus a handling charge.

All in it is $57.88 (little more then I would have liked). Since I already have a spider from the ceramic grill store I hope I now have a long term solution that works. I also picked up a way to have direct / indirect heat with the half shelf.

I am surprised that the pizza sheet stands up to the heat. I have been using an old fry pan that I removed the handle from. After 9 months it is almost unusable. The heat has really warped and bent to metal. I hope the cordierite disc holds up better.

btw nice back yard.
There is always either water or sand in the pan.
Thanks,
jed

I like the idea of Hometruckin's crimped pizza pan for on top of my lava stone. I could get a size of pan that when finished/crimped it extends the baffling of my stone from 15" to 16". Excellent idea, I love it, thanks for sharing.

For those liking the idea of a pan to extend baffling past the 15" lava stone, I've been smoking with the same old, thin pizza pan for a year and it's still in workable condition. I don't put sand or water in it, just use it as a drip tray. I'm surprised so many Vision owners don't need the 2nd pan baffle above the stone like I do. I smoke a lot of 20# pork legs and shoulders at 250 to 275'F. I find pizza and pastry/pies need the second baffle, too.

I know that the discussion on the Vision Kamado -indirect setup is an older posting but just purchased a Vision Class B from Costco, same problem as everybody else, thanks for the pics an explanation. This is what brought me to the community. Thanks think I'll stay awhile and smell the smoke !:hail:

just ordered the KJ heat deflector for my vision kamado. thanks for this post. was lost when I couldn't find the vision deflector anywhere. The KJ indirect setup honestly looks better than the vision setup!

I like the idea of Hometruckin's crimped pizza pan for on top of my lava stone. I could get a size of pan that when finished/crimped it extends the baffling of my stone from 15" to 16". Excellent idea, I love it, thanks for sharing.

For those liking the idea of a pan to extend baffling past the 15" lava stone, I've been smoking with the same old, thin pizza pan for a year and it's still in workable condition. I don't put sand or water in it, just use it as a drip tray. I'm surprised so many Vision owners don't need the 2nd pan baffle above the stone like I do. I smoke a lot of 20# pork legs and shoulders at 250 to 275'F. I find pizza and pastry/pies need the second baffle, too.
Thanks for the props Kathy, I'll send ya few. I get the pans at RD and they last a long time. I have since tried the other throw away pans and am not happy with the results. It's back to crimpin. PM where to send them.
Jed

just ordered the KJ heat deflector for my vision kamado. thanks for this post. was lost when I couldn't find the vision deflector anywhere. The KJ indirect setup honestly looks better than the vision setup!

Can you post a pic of it?:pray:

When smoking, does anyone else have trouble adding wood chunks to the fire with the deflector stone in place?

When smoking, does anyone else have trouble adding wood chunks to the fire with the deflector stone in place?

I use a BGE plate setter (that's all I could find locally). The gap is wide enough to slide small chunks through, or use a rake to move a chunk that's already in the firebox over into the fire. If I have to remove the rack first I just set it on a pot to catch the drippings then lift up the plate setter.

A new bee thanks

This is a great post. I am a Kamado new bee with the Vision Classic from Costco. Great ideas for indirect deflectors. Tonight I used 1 full pizza stone and cut up a second pizza stone and just placed it on the lower grill. Got a 12# Brisket on the go. We'll see how it works out in the morning.

I picked up a kamado joe heat deflector and bge pizza stone. The KJ worked great for low n slow pork shoulder as long as you didn't need both cooking racks. You can fit a drip pan with the KJ heat deflector in the lower postion. Cooking pizza with the KJ heat deflector in the upper position and the bge pizza stone on top worked great. I just wish the bge pizza stone was bigger, it is an inch smaller the the KJ. I may try just the KJ heat deflector and bge pizza stone on the top rake to get the pizza higher in the dome.

Hey guy's, I'm a newbe to the kamado type grills. In fact i have not even opened the one I bought yesterday from Costco UK as I thought I'd gather as much info before I start it up.
I do have a 57cm Performer and WSM which I'm using currently and I must admit the rsults thus far has been pretty satisfying and continuously improving.
Though I have been eyeing up the BGE for sometime but have been slightly put of by'the price. However when this baby crossed my radar when I walked through Costco I thought it to good a deal at £443 sterling to pass.
Hence I am here now to soak up from those who have been and done!

I hope to share some great experiences with you guys once I unwrap and fire up!

Thanks for all the valueble info in advance!

Cheers,

"LovemyQ"

Just finished smoking some ribs on my Vision Grill with the Kamado Joe heat deflector. The ribs were really good.

Did them 2-2-1 and they where super tender.

Hi everybody. What is there a difference between the KJ pizza stone and the KJ heat deflector? Do I need both?
Doing a butt for the fourth.
New at this, Thanks for the help.

Dave

Hi everybody. What is there a difference between the KJ pizza stone and the KJ heat deflector? Do I need both?

Dave

From what I have been able to find out is the KJ pizza stone and te heat deflector are the same minus the embossing on them

Dave

I have the KJ pizza stone and deflector. They are both identical except the embossing as mentioned above. For a butt you don't need both but just one to "deflect" the heat. For Pizza I do use both to keep the crust from burning. There are also other ways of doing pizza with one stone by placing it on the grill grates or the top rack to prevent burning the crust if you jut have one of the stones. I just chose to pick both of them up.

Back