How to: mess up a brisket

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, as I mentioned in my rib thread, I decided to cook up some meat in a simple, straight forward process to end up with some nice smoked meat. Naturally, I couldn't just do the brisket fat cap down, in a UDS, nooo, that would be too simple.

I decided to put the brisket on a sheet of aluminum foil. :crazy: I don't know why, I don't know what I expected. I know that I did not expect the fat cap and rub to burn onto the foil such that I had to cut the cap off of the meat to release the foil. I know that I DID NOT EXPECT THAT! :tsk::tsk::tsk: Farking Fat Briquette Mod! :mad: I don't know what I was thinking, I have cooked briskets in a UDS before, I have cooked many briskets, not all good, but, none on a dry piece of foil. GAH!

So, here is the shot of the aformentioned brisket/fat briqeuttes/foil fused to it's cap hunk of meat. So not happy with that idea.
brisket-whole.jpg

If you can look, you can see the carbon glue I used to adhere the meat to the foil. I am so clever. :doh: I did go ahead and salvage the mess, and it turned out to be delicious and looked fine once the foil was surgically excised.
slices.jpg

And a couple of smoker shots, cause they turned out pretty good.
smokershot.jpg

butts.jpg

Haha well you WERE in the zone!

We all get those "what the heck was I thinkin" moments.

I'm taking notes - so you're saying the foil goes on top, or maybe the shiny side goes the other way, right? :confused:

That's too funny ... only because it sounds like something I would do

At least the food was salvagable

I'm taking notes - so you're saying the foil goes on top, or maybe the shiny side goes the other way, right? :confused:
I highly suggest you do your next brisket with the shiny side in, dull side out, not wait, the dull side is non stick, so it goes in.

I foresee a very flavorful chili in my future

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
All and all, mighty fine looking brisket :thumb:. We are heading down to Paso Robles with the RV to meet up with some friends and do some wine tasting. I mention this because they all want BBQ, so guess what I'm cookin, that's correct, ribs and brisket, but I will for sure stay away from your new found foil and trim method :-D.

No biggie Bob (I HOPE that's not what she said ;) )

Go back to what works, and we'll not mention this again.

I still think you're the best cook on the site... just know you're human, that's all.

Back