Need some quick help on the Pork Butt

roknrandy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been at 179 for 2 hours now. Tryng to get to 195. I took it off the pit and have it in the oven at 250. It is a 10.5lb butt. If I left it in the oven for another 8 hours (maybe drop to 200) do you think it yould be ok or could it dry out by tomorrow morning??
Thanks

Put it in a covered roaster and add about 2 pints of water to the roaster. Set the temp to 180 degrees and it won't dry out. If you cook it at 180 that long then you don't have to worry about getting to 195. I do this all the time and it really works well, and if you make pulled pork the added liquid makes it really juicy and good.

I dunno Randy. I think it's only a couple hours from 195. I'd stay up or at least wake up aftere a couple hours.

Thanks Guys, I'll try the Wayne's water trick and TK's short sleep trick. I'll post in the morning as to how it works.

Randy, relax... youre stuck.. They stick at one temp for few hours sometimes....Althought 179 is a ittle high to be stuck,(its usually in the high 160's).. as long as you got good heat and your thermometers is accurate, dont fret none.,. when it breaks, it will climb rapidly. Relax and have a brew. I hope your foiled. If not, foil it now. Make sure you spray it nice and ad a few ounces of moisture when u foil it. If your getten poopede..,put it in a 185 degree oven and go to sleep. set the oven to go off in 2 hours. It wont break 190 and when the heat shuts off it will continue to cook on its own heat load. But preferbly, stick it out. your not far away.

Wayne said:
Put it in a covered roaster and add about 2 pints of water to the roaster. Set the temp to 180 degrees and it won't dry out. If you cook it at 180 that long then you don't have to worry about getting to 195. I do this all the time and it really works well, and if you make pulled pork the added liquid makes it really juicy and good.

Again thanks for the input guys. Wayne, I did add a 50/50 mix of 8oz ea water/apple juice and let is sit in the oven at 180 for 9 hours :shock: (No I didn't get up to check it) and other than 1 side (just the first 1/4") was a little dry (I didn't have the foil on tight enough) it was perfect.

I just put on my gloves and it fell apart in the bowl :D :D anyway I'll throw on some sauce and it will vanish by tonight.

I also do this with brisket and shred it up with the liquid. Enjoy your supper.

Back