St Louis style ribs

Big Jim BBQ

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Anytime I have smoked St Louis style in the past I have always bought them pre cut. I want to try some this weekend and trim them myself. My question is what to do with the trimmings? I've read some threads about cooking the "flap" as rib tips and I understand that but do you also cook the "knuckles"? Do you put the trimmings in a pan to cook or simply put them on the grate? Is the cook time the same as the ribs?Any and All info will be greatly appreciated.

I put the trimmings on the grate. They're the cooks reward for his hard work. I snack on them long before the slabs are done.

season them just like the racks, put them on the grate and smoke them. Good stuff right there.

I fillet out the "knuckles" rub them roll them up and secure with a toothpick. They take up less room on the smoker and are usually done about the time the ribs are ready to foil. Great snack during the cook ]:thumb:

Here's what I do. I put them on the smoker for a couple of hours. Take them out and cut all the meat off/debone, whatever you want to call it, just so I have meat only. Then put it in a pan, pour in a bottle of your favorite beer and BBQ sauce. Put it back in the smoker and let it simmer for another hour...take out and enjoy...MMMMMM GOOD.

Slice them thin and cook them like ribs. They cook a little faster though.

picture.php

Here's what I do: BB's all the way! Ha ha Sorry, I had to say it.
Yeah, I usually do too but just want to try something different for a change. Actually scored some pretty nice looking spares at Sam's today at $2.17#

Back