Brisket Flat - Not cooking a packer today!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm not sure why but I seem to have a lot of luck on my 3rd try on pretty much anything I BBQ. Tonight the same thing applied to a choice brisket flat. Up till now, I've had quite a bit of luck with whole packer briskets but had cooked up practically inedible flats in my first 2 tries of flats alone. Granted those tries came a couple of years ago on my electric smoker and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing (pre-Brethren and pre-Egg days).

Neverless, I decided it was time to redeem myself. That and I wanted brisket and didn't want to cook a packer brisket as I believe that cooking food that can be tied back to a sports team brings that team bad luck. Since I wanted Green Bay to win today, there was no way I was smoking a "Packer" today.

Enough with the chatter :blabla:, here's some pron:
IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

Although I was happy with the results, I'll be happy to return to whole packers as I miss having burnt ends. :icon_sad

Maybe you have been buying those mismarked "choice" packers at S&F that were really "select".

Brisket looks great.

Wow that looks great John! So moist and tasty... Nice job!!

John that is a great looking flat! Sorry about the lack of burnt ends but, that's just an excuse to have to make another one. :becky:

Just bought my first flat brisket. I'm going to give it a shot this week. What temp did you do this one at?

Thanks

Dang John, you are impressing the heck out of me, you are looking like a real vet at smoking.

Looks like you do a fine job on a flat. Would like to see a pic of your burnt ends when you do a packer.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think my Thanks button has given out.

Just bought my first flat brisket. I'm going to give it a shot this week. What temp did you do this one at?

Thanks

This one was a 4 lb flat. Cooked at temps around 280-300 until IT hit around 165-170 and then foiled it. I started probing for tenderness around 195 and ultimately it wasn't to my liking until 205. Almost 7 hrs total for this one which was a bit surprising (at least to me) considering the higher cooking temps. If you haven't already checked out bigabyte's brisket tutorial, you can check it out here. Many a brethren here has tapped into it for some brisket cooking knowlege.

Looks like you do a fine job on a flat. Would like to see a pic of your burnt ends when you do a packer.

Thx. I'm sure I'll be posting pron the next time I do a packer.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think my Thanks button has given out.

This one was a 4 lb flat. Cooked at temps around 280-300 until IT hit around 165-170 and then foiled it. I started probing for tenderness around 195 and ultimately it wasn't to my liking until 205. Almost 7 hrs total for this one which was a bit surprising (at least to me) considering the higher cooking temps. If you haven't already checked out bigabyte's brisket tutorial, you can check it out here. Many a brethren here has tapped into it for some brisket cooking knowlege.

Thx. I'm sure I'll be posting pron the next time I do a packer.

Thanks sooo much!! I'm gonna do my best to duplicate that bad boy. :-D

Back