I know this is not worth my time

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, just got a phone call for 40 people tri tip sandwiches with about 2/3 chicken for people who don't eat meat, 2 sides. (She saw us vending Tri-tip sandwiches at an event) She said her budget was $300 dollars, then she asked if we provided drinks. If not she could only pay me $275 considering she had to purchase drinks. I told her I was booked that day and was sorry. (I really wanted to laugh in her face and tell her she was crazy) :-D What would you guys charge for that? I am starting to get a lot of my budget is only business, how should I respond to that? any comments are appreciated:p

So basically $7.50 x 40 = $300.00

Her budget is $7.50 per person. I sell a tri tip sandwich alone for $7.49 and with 2 sides for 9.99. What was the price on your tri tip sandwiches at the vending event that she saw? That should be her clue.

Here is the problem---she will find someone to do it at her price. They will cook ball tips or chuck roast or bottom round and call it tri tip. It happens every day.

The right thing to do is what you did---the only other thing would have been to tell her what you could do for $7.50---but cooking for only 40 people there is not much you can do for that price with 2 sides and a drink. How much is a Big Mac supersized meal?

We were vselling tri tip sandwiches for $5.00 bucks no sides. You are right on the money there is not much I can do for that price. Heck subway is $7 with a drink and chips, by the way she wanted me to cook it on site.

We were vselling tri tip sandwiches for $5.00 bucks no sides. You are right on the money there is not much I can do for that price. Heck subway is $7 with a drink and chips, by the way she wanted me to cook it on site.

Ok, so first - Raise your vending price a bit to weed out some of this.

When I get inquiries like this, I really shake my head. My basic response to the "price only" folks is to look in the Pennysaver or Craigslist and find a low budget caterer who is not licensed, insured or Serv safe certified and works out of their garage. I also tell them to check their homeowners insurance to make sure they have coverage too.

You did right .... charge for your time and expenses. Also get a menu and charges per head for pick-up and on-site. This will allow people to understand quickly your charges. Remember, people that want something for nothing NEVER make good Customers.

$5 a sandwich? Even is a small town, that is not enough. My nephews Little League did $6.00 a sandwich at cost and sold for $8.00. The guy that sold them the tri-tip and rolls said that he could not go lower than $6 per and still make his costs plus a small profit.

Tell them to look at your pre-set menu prices and knock off the gratuity. I stopped getting these calls after a year!:twisted:

Back