Planning on trying to do a practice competition chicken cook tomorrow afternoon. Never tried comp chicken or thighs on the PBC before so any pointers would be great.

Planning on trying to do a practice competition chicken cook tomorrow afternoon. Never tried comp chicken or thighs on the PBC before so any pointers would be great.

I typically do pretty well in chicken and cook it exclusively on PBC. What is your plan?

I typically do pretty well in chicken and cook it exclusively on PBC. What is your plan?

Planning to try to cut chicken tonight and brine chicken overnight. Will season tomorrow before I put on PBC. Not sure when I should sauce or what best method is. Open for feedback...

Planning to try to cut chicken tonight and brine chicken overnight. Will season tomorrow before I put on PBC. Not sure when I should sauce or what best method is. Open for feedback...

I would probably only brine 4-6 hours.

I do 55 min uncovered and 35 min covered running at 300. When I cover I add a stick of butter in pats (for 12 thighs) and about 1/4 cup liquid...usually apple juice or coke.

Then I set on rack, glaze with sauce, and back on for 10 or so min.

I would probably only brine 4-6 hours.

I do 55 min uncovered and 35 min covered running at 300. When I cover I add a stick of butter in pats (for 12 thighs) and about 1/4 cup liquid...usually apple juice or coke.

Then I set on rack, glaze with sauce, and back on for 10 or so min.

Maybe I will just cut and prep tonight and brine in am. Guessing I should put in a foil pan to cook rather than put them on the grate? What do you mean by add butter in pats? Is that pans?

Maybe I will just cut and prep tonight and brine in am. Guessing I should put in a foil pan to cook rather than put them on the grate? What do you mean by add butter in pats? Is that pans?

I cook in foil the whole time. Like a stick of butter cut into 8-10 squares (pats)!

Just trying to plan my cook for all the food to be ready the same time. I have my chicken up. How long u think 2 inch steaks will take to hit 120?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ba36fcb9212d68b8c731def03e5eb430.jpg

Pastrami
f11cc72e18f4c428b0f629cb242bfe0e.jpg

a65f4c373592b55c455147b4ad304a40.jpg
61dc2ae5086842c95be3b8782fd9d177.jpg

Thanks getting use to my PBC. It really is a great machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That steak looks killer.

And I can't believe I've never thought of hanging from the grate itself. So obvious, yet never even crossed my mind.

Going to be cooking up a bunch of wings for the Super Bowl and maybe some pork belly burnt ends, but I'm doing a brisket first. Thinking about getting the brisket on at 5AM PST so it is ready to slice around game time or close to it. I'm going to want to keep rolling fresh wings out throughout the game so I have a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some help with:

1) Has anyone re-filled the coal basket around the six-seven hour mark in order to keep the party going? Did you just dump and light again or go through the entire process? I'm a bit worried about ash flying around inside the barrel.

2) When using normal kabob skewers for wings or cubed pork belly, what do you put on the bottom of the skewer to prevent the food from sliding off? Do you just wrap aluminum foil around it?

Thanks!

I think you can dump some new coal over the remaining lit and be ok. But I would take any food out for a few minutes because of potential ash flying around and also to allow some of the dirty smoke to dissipate from the new coal being dumped in.

But I must make the disclaimer that I've never done this....lol.

BK, there have been a few ideas for keeping food from sliding off skewers. Aluminum foil works. Others have used a potato, which holds snug. Metal binder clips were used by someone. Cotter pins by another. Or just get the very overpriced skewers from PBC like I got for Christmas and be done with it. That works too.

That's what I was thinking...just dump some more coals in there and let it start going but make sure there isn't any food in there for a bit.

KC - I looked at them on the website this morning but couldn't fathom paying that for a few skewers when I already have some ready to go, just not with the convenient base on the bottom. Too bad I didn't ask for some of them for Christmas.

Back