• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Going for a Pizza on BGE. Any tutorial?

I'm missing the cheese element here. I'm sure this is hotly debated, but are there favorite cheese blends? I used a soft mozzarella (almost fresh), provolone and some Pecarino (like a Parmesan). Didn't quite hit that gooey chew of cheese that I was looking for.

i use a combination of Low moisture Polly-o shredded Mozzarella, Parmesan Regiannio and Buffalo Mozzarella. The Buffalo Mozz has alot of water, so u need to squeeze it out.

I found that fresh mozz also is very watery so i use it in moderation when makin margahrita style pies... but my favorite is traditional Neapolitan(odd shaped with very light toppings) or the NY style thats in the slideshow above.

Also, overcooking the cheese, will take away that gooey chew u may be looking for. It causes the cheese to seperate becomes dried out. On thicker pies, or ones with alot of cheese, i found that par cooking the dough and then adding the cheese in the last few minutes stops that from happening.

and... im not to proud to admit that when the crust is perfect, and the toppings still need few minutes, i will put under the broiler for just a minute to finish the top without messing up the crust.

I see a few posts for par cooking the crust. Heavy toppings must be a factor. I also felt my almost fresh Mozz cheese added water to the scene. Dryer cheese would be better.

I wish I had access to Poly-O. I used to, but now can't find it.

I see a few posts for par cooking the crust. Heavy toppings must be a factor. I also felt my almost fresh Mozz cheese added water to the scene. Dryer cheese would be better.

I wish I had access to Poly-O. I used to, but now can't find it.
No Wal-Marts near by?

any low moisture mozz will do. Soranto has one too. Fresh mozz will always let out a ton of water.

I've read where people use the BGE legs between a pizza stone and the plate setter to provide an air gap. It was described for better heat.

I sure don't mean to argue, but I would have guessed that having the pizza stone in direct contact with the plate setter would have given it more mass and less cool-off than having the air gap.

Obviously that's not the right answer.

i use the legs.

without it, the stone taakes forever to get hot and then got way to hot for multiple pies. Before using the legs, i threw a handful of pea gravel on the plate setter and sat the stone on that.

Back