Anyone built a Freezer Smoker?

H

HHpepper

I have procured an old upright freezer to convert to a smoker. Not sure if I will use gas, electric, or charcoal/lump. I have it taken down and it has fiberglass insualtion throughout, removed any wiring and electronics, and removed all ac components. It is basically an insulated shell. There is also no plastic on the inside now.
Any pointers?

Just an fyi... what is the melting point of the (old) freezer fiberglass when hot?

Had walked away from a freezer with a similar idea... toxic fumes when hot?
If you can repack with hi-temp insulation... would be a better idea.

It is 1980 something yellow glass insulation, no idea of the melting point. If the unit is sealed on the inside then how does the fumes get into the cooking chamber? It is tack welded together so that would need to be drilled to disassemble it

I have procured an old upright freezer to convert to a smoker. Not sure if I will use gas, electric, or charcoal/lump. I have it taken down and it has fiberglass insualtion throughout, removed any wiring and electronics, and removed all ac components. It is basically an insulated shell. There is also no plastic on the inside now.
Any pointers?

Are you looking at making it into a cold smoker i.e. temps. less than 160*F, with a remote firebox? If so, I believe it would work fine for a smoke chamber.

Can't say I've ever seen it done that way. Cold smoke box, yes. Hot box...nope. Be interesting to see pics and read commentary on the build. Sorry I can't be of much help:|, but good luck!! Keep us posted.

slow going but here is an update. It was completely hulled and I had trim and a door cover cut from .040 and some rope seal. There is a hole in the bottom for the charcoal or gas eye. Thermo in the door and a latch on the outside to keep it closed. All I lack is the chimney for the top.

freezer.jpg

freezer1.jpg

freezer2.jpg

Back