first butt on otg. any advice

occva

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am preparing for my first butt on my kettle. I have charcoal set up around the side 2 wide and 2 high with wood chunks on top. (see pic) I plan on adding 8 lit coals to one end to get started. I have a larger rectangular drip pan that will it on top of the round in the bottom.

I understand my target temp is 200 cooked at 250. It is a 7lb butt so am planning on about 12 hours.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Attachments

• 20130703_192141.jpg
    20130703_192141.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Don't judge doneness by time or temp. Use a probe or similar object , it should slide in with very little resistance.

If you can wiggle the bone out it's done. If the bone doesn't pull out then she isn't done and let it ride.

If you have a bone-in butt, it will also be done when the bone wiggles like a tooth that is ready to pull. The temperature this occutrs can vary quite bit from butt to butt.

If I was doing it, I would watch the bark (crust) to make sure it doesn't get to thick. When it looks the way I like it, I would take the butt off and wrap in foil with some moisture on top. Make an airtight wrap and cook until it probes like butter.

Your charcoal wood setup looks good with the wood on top. I did it with the wood inline with the charcoal and it killed my fire in the middle of the night.

Thanks for the pointers.

Butt went on at 4am. The charcoal snake worked perfect. It burned for 11 1/2 hours before i added a few more unlit coals for a total cook time of 12 1/2 hours. Wide open top vent and about 1/4 open on the bottom and i didnt have to touch it all day. The temp stayed between 240 and 265. It stalled at 175 and actually came back to 173 before climbing to 198. At this point the bone almost fell out when i wiggled it. I nto the cooler it went for about a hour.

It was delicious and worth getting up early. I would have liked a little more bark. Maybe i will change my rub next time.

Sounds like a success to me!
Good thing the K on all the briquets were facing the same direction though.
Otherwise, total chaos.

Nice work. Add a bit more sugar to your rub should give a bit more bark. I also love heavy smoke so I would add chips along the top of the snake in addition to the chunks. But either way, nice!

Back