Anyone ever build an Arduino temperature controller? {GEEKS}

Hey, Bryan welcome too the Brethrens. Its about time you posted over here. :thumb:
Hey, I know you! It's awesome to find another forum where folks are rolling their own solutions because I see some of these projects and just remark "Oh man that's amazing, I want that!". Which is I guess why the HeaterMeter project will never end, I keep finding new ideas I want to try out.

I am currently in the process of building a controller using an Arduino. I wanted to take range out of the equation so rather than use something like ZigBee or Bluetooth I opted for a USB host shield. I had an old Android phone laying around which requests voltage reading from the Arduino and then it acts as a server that is connected wirelessly to my network. I have an Android Server app which I've written and an Android Client app which can connect to the server. You can set alarms and graph the temperatures. I can go out on a date with my wife and still check my temperatures even though I might be 30 minutes away. My eventual plan is to use a different micro controller with slightly more processing power and a wifi shield so that I can remove the need for an old android phone. The server software will run on the micro controller and the same Android client app which I've written will connect to and communicate with the device over the internet/intranet depending on how it is setup. I'm still in the early stages, but as I get farther along with it I will post more information here.
lkspencer, I *love* the idea of reusing an old phone for the communication. Can the phone use the power from the USB port? I have an old Droid but the battery is shot and probably can't last more than a few hours. If the Droid can run off USB power then there's no problem. Definitely keep us updated on your progress. Do you have a site with the software somewhere?
My only problem, is, right now, that the fan draws 12 V/0.07 A, (I swear it was advertised as 5 V but whatever), and the Arduino power pins only supply 5 V, which really doesn't move the fan too well.

Can any electricians help me out here? Will the fan not work or do I need to introduce external power from somewhere?
I'm a little late but this may help: an Arduino can be powered by 5v to 12v. It has a regulator to bring down the 12v to 5v for use by the Arduino and the output pins. However, there is one pin that gives you access to the power *before* it is regulated. Use 12v to power your Arduino and hook up your fan to the unregulated pin. You'll need a relay between the 12v and the fan that is controlled by one of the PWM output pins of the Arduino. That's what I did with my Arduino controller for my smoker: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-drum-smoker/

I'm working on putting the parts together for this, and just a FYI that it's not necessarily an inexpensive project to put together. I haven't started on the assembly yet, but so far I have almost $150 into it. My total is below. The unit is going to have more functionality than I can get from spending a $150 on anything else and so I'm fine with spending the money, but if you think it's an inexpensive controller that's not quite the case.

Raspberry Pi $45.00 - WiFi Adapter $10 - PCB $13 - Mouser and Digikey parts $80 - Total$148.00

lkspencer, I *love* the idea of reusing an old phone for the communication. Can the phone use the power from the USB port? I have an old Droid but the battery is shot and probably can't last more than a few hours. If the Droid can run off USB power then there's no problem. Definitely keep us updated on your progress. Do you have a site with the software somewhere?

I'm a little late but this may help: an Arduino can be powered by 5v to 12v. It has a regulator to bring down the 12v to 5v for use by the Arduino and the output pins. However, there is one pin that gives you access to the power *before* it is regulated. Use 12v to power your Arduino and hook up your fan to the unregulated pin. You'll need a relay between the 12v and the fan that is controlled by one of the PWM output pins of the Arduino. That's what I did with my Arduino controller for my smoker: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-drum-smoker/

I don't know why the forum didn't notify me that there were more posts to this thread. Anyway, I don't have a web site setup yet. When talking about USB there is always a parent child relationship. One of the parent or host's jobs is to provide power. With the setup I have, the host is the arduino with its USB shield. The arduino with its USB shield provides the power to the phone.

I'm trying to find a cheap PSB that can run android so I can use what I've already done without needing a phone.

https://www.miniand.com/products/Hackberry A10 Developer Board

That's what I am considering using. Life has kept me busy for these past few months but I've made a bit of progress on the software. I am starting to write code that will help users re-calibrate the thermistors (probes). I haven't setup any fan control yet. I need to read up on the best way to do that with an arduino, and then I can code it all into the android apps (client and server) which can send the commands to the arduino device. So, I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable sharing it but I am making progress.

This is what I'm looking to build. I'd love some info on what you did. I'm an embedded system programmer so that part is easy. I'm more curious about the brew system. I'm still doing all-grain in the driveway but would love to move indoors. Beautiful pot you have there!
Thanks
-Kenny

This should give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28kYMdQsqjQ , there is a part2 as well. cheers Bryan

I don't know why the forum didn't notify me that there were more posts to this thread. Anyway, I don't have a web site setup yet. When talking about USB there is always a parent child relationship. One of the parent or host's jobs is to provide power. With the setup I have, the host is the arduino with its USB shield. The arduino with its USB shield provides the power to the phone.

I'm trying to find a cheap PSB that can run android so I can use what I've already done without needing a phone.

https://www.miniand.com/products/Hackberry A10 Developer Board

That's what I am considering using. Life has kept me busy for these past few months but I've made a bit of progress on the software. I am starting to write code that will help users re-calibrate the thermistors (probes). I haven't setup any fan control yet. I need to read up on the best way to do that with an arduino, and then I can code it all into the android apps (client and server) which can send the commands to the arduino device. So, I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable sharing it but I am making progress.
It's crazy how inexpensive some hardware boards are. I had heard of the Hackberry but never looked into it. Pretty neat stuff.

Your original post inspired me to look into using an Android phone and now I've started a project. It's all your fault! :)

I just completed my arduino powered smoker controller. I feed all of the data to a SQL database and then I monitor it remotely using a web browser on my computer or phone. Eventually I will probably add a wireless router so I don't have to stretch an ethernet cord across the yard, but I am happy enough for now. Below is a picture of the web page which allows me to set a smoker temperature to control to and a setpoint for the meat so I don't forget what I am going for. I will take some pictures of the hardware when I get a chance.

smoker.jpg

I just got an Arduino a few weeks ago, and of course looked to see if the Brethren were using them. Niiiiiiice...

I have kludged the framework for an ATC together using leftover computer bits, judicious use of a soldering iron (my least favorite tool), and ganking the probes from my iGrill. I tested each piece (fan, servo, alarm, probe, etc) separately. I have to wire it all up and give it a spin on the UDS.

When finished (re-done using new parts), it should have the functionality of a Stoker (multiple probes, multiple pits) for the price of an IQ110.

Last edited:
Back