UDS paint question...

DirtyDeedz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the Brethren but have found this forum to have a wealth of information! Unfortunately through multiple failed searches, I find myself with a question that I hope someone might be able to help me out with.

Does anyone have any experience with using two Rustoleum products with different temp ratings together? I'm building my first UDS and I've hit it with the Rustoleum BBQ High Heat paint (flat black), sprayed a logo using the same BBQ high heat paint (in white) and would like to hit it with a clear gloss. Problem is, the rustoleum gloss I have found is slightly different (for Automotive) and its temp rating is slightly different. Will this cause problems? I saw that someone mentioned spraying down the flat black with cooking oil, so this could be an option, but I would rather hit it with a clear coat.

Here's my build so far...
183825_10101307482506530_1951073456_n.jpg

If you put the gloss over the high temp primer, the gloss will likely crack. We have had that issue. Otherwise, we have not had that problem.

But I hope you're planning only to cook at home. I don't believe that cooker will do very well on the road. :grin:

As long as they are both the same base; Acrylic Enamel, or Lacquer it will be no problem.

I probably should have mentioned the gloss is automotive high heat as well. Rated up to 2000 as opposed to 1200 like the flat I believe. Outnumbered, were you doing something similar or were you just hitting it with a regular gloss (not high heat)?

P.S. I loved the MU dig! Cracking me up. Haven't had much luck on the road at all this year, and we're definitely taking our lumps in the SEC. My hope is that if my team still can't get it together at least I'll have some good BBQ...small consolation prize for a homer like me.

I probably should have mentioned the gloss is automotive high heat as well.

You did imply that. Anyway, I think you'll be fine; your pit will likely never see 600 f. Nice build!

Thanks, Freddy! Was just out in Boston for a wedding...I loved your city. Could easily go back for a week or two just to see the things I didn't get to see.

As long as they are both the same base; Acrylic Enamel, or Lacquer it will be no problem.

I agree with this the different heat raitings shouldn't be a problem i have even read were some guys were using regular non high temp paint and claim it holds up fine

Back