The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

His are definitely the best and newest videos. He's had a "Free" Mak for about a year and done 2 whole videos on it. Nothing showing the flame zone or regular grilling (though both his existing videos do an excellent job conveying that the thing puts out serious smoke:thumb:) . Also nothing on pellet consumption/differences (as was hinted at in one of his videos). If hed take the ball and run with it that'd be great.:wink:

Just read thread about baking a cake on a grill got me thinking about what pellets to use.
I don't think you would want to much of a smoke flavor. Has anybody tried this?

Just read thread about baking a cake on a grill got me thinking about what pellets to use.

Haven't done a cake yet, but I have done a pie. It turned out really good.
picture.php

:heh:

Permanent home will be on the back patio once the monsoon stops.

I have the bottom storage shelf to still install should be here Saturday, not the best pic's, I don't do well in low light.

cFzUy2Y.jpg

OkqVIPU.jpg

MAK makes a solid cooker , I've cooked on a 2 Star and was very impressed on the fit and finish ! They're made down the road from where I live , wish I could justify that much money for a pellet grill smoker !

First cook on the MAK 2 Star. Did a Brisket, was probably a bad day to do it as I am going in for some hours on Sunday to run my business for the summer. I mean first cook on the grill doing a brisket was probably not the best thing to do, but not half bad. Did it with Oakridge Black OPS and BPS Little Louies Garlic rub. I over cooked it. I did not think it was going to finish off as fast as it did when I wrapped in butcher paper. I did not have the alarm set on the Maverick or the transmitter in the house so I over cooked about 10 degrees. Anyway the wife and I liked it. The point was really good but the flat was a little less juicy.

My only complaint was and it is just my OCD that it is very hard to clean the grill. I know with my old smoker I just lined with foil and clean up was a snap. Anybody have any tips to keep the inside clean? Or do you just like it ride?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_a88.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a88.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 410
  • fullsizeoutput_a87.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a87.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 406
  • fullsizeoutput_a7d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_a7d.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 408
On my YS640 I just pull the diffuser plate, and scrape it clean, then vacuum the fire pot and ashes out of the bottom. Wipe the Thermocouple down and that's it. Will hit the grates with a brush, when I heat it up to cook the next time. I try to do it after every hopper full of pellets. It's a smoker, it's going to get dirty.

Nice first cook... and brave too! As far as making cleanup easy... unless I am cooking a lot of meat, I always do my low n slow cooks on the top grate (I have the full upper grate) with either an aluminum pan or piece of foil laying on the bottom grate to catch the mess. Makes cleanup a cinch. If I need the bottom grate in addition to the top grate, I often times will lay a piece of foil over the Flame Zone pan just big enough to cover up to the grease channels. Again, makes cleanup much easier. For grilling, I just let it rip naked. The MAK gets plenty hot enough that the dripping just vaporize/carbonize... making scraping super simple after the cooker has cooled.

we do it, apple or cherry or nut wood

Another pellet popper here. I run a GMG Jim Bowie WiFI. I use bbq delight and Lumber Jack pellets. LJ 100% pecan is amazing with beef. cherry, apple, maple hickory for most other meats.

I have entered the world of the pellet grill!!!! I've been looking at them for a while and my dad surprised me with a Traeger Silverton for my 40th!!! Not a lot of info on them as I gather it's a new model but it looks like a gas grill. I'm pumped!!!

Be prepared for some questions. I bought a bag of hickory and have signature blend on the way. My only real smoking experience has been on the PBC so hopefully I can crank out some good stuff here

Anybody have any tips to keep the inside clean? Or do you just like it ride?

If i'm doing a big greasy cook (brisket) i'll foil the drip pan for easy clean up. Other than that I don't do much. I think too many people spend too much time cleaning them when there's no need. Maybe every 80# of pellets I vac out the inside.

Traeger, also winners of oddest front shelf size, oddest top rack location and size, and winner of most underwhelming top tier pellet smoker. Thats all just for the Timberline models. Its also runner up for worst rack distance and depth.

I din't remember what causes the explosion, anybody?
but I seems like it was user error :noidea:

I even found a Mak exploding on another forum.....said he shut it off then short while later his Wife asked Him to Grill something so he flipped it back on before it had cooled completely - dumped a fresh batch of pellets onto smoldering ones.......

Back