Parkay Squeeze Margarine on Ribs

holdenf92

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been addressed on here before, but I figured I'd bring it up anyway. I cannot for the life of me understand why it has become a thing to adulterate your pork ribs by slathering them in parkway margarine before wrapping. I understand this practice is very popular on the competition circuit. My question is, why? Wouldn't competition judges, who supposedly have these developed palates, be able to pick out the flavor it imparts pretty easily? I always thought that bbq and especially great bbq was about the wood, the technique of the pitmaster, and the flavor of the quality meat shining through. So why is it that every video I see on YouTube for competition ribs includes dousing the meat with copious amounts of fake butter, brown sugar, and enough honey to give your grandma diabetes? Plus, why would anyone who cares about the quality of the product they are producing want to use a product like margarine anyway? In 2018 we know it's a highly processed, unhealthy blend of chemicals, artificial flavors, and rancid vegetable oils. Anybody have a reasonable explanation? I'm all ears lol. Sorry for the rant but when I see someone ruin their great looking ribs with that pale yellow glue it makes me cringe.

You should see how much I put on my brisket :becky:

index.php

That's the comp world. They need one bite to wow judges. For home cooking we need flavors we can eat a pound of.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I keep hearing that, but how exactly does margarine wow a judge? If I tasted that oil slick on my rib I'd gag and be angry.

From what I've gathered, it's not about imparting flavor, that part is minimal if not non-existent. It increases the richness of the ribs and thereby enhances the taste of the other ingredients.

This is just what I've heard, I don't allow margarine on my property. :becky:

To each his own I guess. But as for me, if I was going to use something like that, it would be melted ghee at room temperature.

Maragine makes the ribs more “silky” in texture and when you mix it with brown sugar, honey, etc. in the foil, after 1-2 hours and after the ribs are glazed with a sweet, tangy, and spicy sauce, I guarantee you can’t taste it or distinguish it from butter. Now why is it used instead of butter? Higher burn point, which is especially important if you’re cooking hot and fast (300+).

From what I've gathered, it's not about imparting flavor, that part is minimal if not non-existent. It increases the richness of the ribs and thereby enhances the taste of the other ingredients.

This is just what I've heard, I don't allow margarine on my property. :becky:

Technically it's soybean oil, so you are good to eat it up! :-D

I went trough the CBBQJ( certified BBQ judge) schools because I " thought" I may want to cook in comps.I judged for a year,was as neutral as I could be.That world is just not for me.I had to taste things humans are not supposed to be subjected to.Just my opinion.Yes,I judged some comps where the " Masters" ( as seen on T.V. ) were competing.Not impressed.

Back