View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #3332
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqdude65 View Post
Jeremy, just one question: after the last 7 years, would you do it all again knowing what you know now and what the investment would be?
Good question. Since this is my second time around, and have learned so much from the past venture, and have put many changes into place to try to make this location even better, it's certainly been a little easier. But it's still by far the most difficult thing I've ever done.

The physical, mental, and financial demands an operation like this requires is beyond what any book or personal advice someone can give you. That's the one thing that would make me question doing it again. It's just simply not easy. There's no way to sugar coat it. But the rewards can make it still worthwhile.

There's something to be said about being a small operation, working solo or with a very small staff, and maybe being open just a few days a week. I think that might be the sweet spot where you can still do what you love without killing yourself and possibly make a decent little living out of it. Now that I'm in the realm of managing 20+ employees, seeing thousands of customers every month, and into the seven-figure revenue scenario, this isn't your backyard BBQ anymore.

Doing this kind of volume while having your finger on the pulse and making sure every piece of food that comes out of your kitchen is damn near perfect, every single day, will put anyone's mental toughness to the test.

Would I do it again? Probably. But I am getting older and I'm already starting to think about what it's going to be like ten years from now. Maintaining this into my 50s? It won't be easy for sure.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->