A little confused on white/blue smoke

S

SirDanK

I was wondering if there is a thread here on the white/blue smoke issue? Thanks

I'm sure that there is more than one, but this is the one we have in the 'Road Map' at the top of the forum... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=15250

Basically, white smoke shows incomplete combustion of the wood and is bitter. Blue smoke on the other hand indicates good combustion and has (depending on the type of wood) a sweet flavor...

I'd also add that the white/blue smoke can sometimes vary based on smoker and outside temp.

For instance, I have a BWS (water smoker) ... when it goes under 45-50* it starts looking like an old coal train puffin it's way up a mountain from all the moisture within the smoke itself. But on a hot summer night, one barely sees anything coming out.

I'd also add that the white/blue smoke can sometimes vary based on smoker and outside temp.

For instance, I have a BWS (water smoker) ... when it goes under 45-50* it starts looking like an old coal train puffin it's way up a mountain from all the moisture within the smoke itself. But on a hot summer night, one barely sees anything coming out.

You just described the steam that comes out of a water smoker. on a hot night it will disappear.
Smoke is different, and clean smoke is blue, an almost transparent, can't hardly see it except in a good light - blue

You just described the steam that comes out of a water smoker. on a hot night it will disappear.
Smoke is different, and clean smoke is blue, an almost transparent, can't hardly see it except in a good light - blue

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring too ... from all the moisture within the smoke itself. Moisture in the gaseous form is steam - that would be correct.

Lot of times it condensation in your smoker when you first start up

Is that manamana?

I love when I can barely see the smoke coming out of the kettle, when I have to sort of lean over and look real carefully, when that is happening and the kettle is locked on 250F, I know dinner is gonna be good.

Come on landarc, you know you watched it...:p Blue smoke good.

633739505737244660-mahnamahna.jpg

Back