Green wood for smoking

Grizzly6

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I posted a thread awhile back where we cut down three apple trees. I was planning on letting it sit over the winter and then using it next summer. However I have seen, heard or read about people using freshly cut wood in there smokers. Has anyone done this and what are the results? Thanks in advance...

BACON!!

Fruit wood like apple and peach can be used when pretty green. Cherry acts more like a hardwood and so really benefits from seasoning. Some small chunks in a charcoal basket would work great.

I prefer green apple wood when smoking, go for it.

There are folks that use green hickory, pecan and even mesquite, you have to have a very hot fire, and a large cooker helps. The trick is to build a clean hot fire with seasoned wood or charcoal, them add just enough green wood to ignite and burn.

There are folks that use green hickory, pecan and even mesquite, you have to have a very hot fire, and a large cooker helps. The trick is to build a clean hot fire with seasoned wood or charcoal, them add just enough green wood to ignite and burn.
^^ This. BUT, go easy on the green stuff. Can you say "Creosote?

Will this work on Fig too? I've got a fig tree I cut down about a month ago, dying to use it...

I've used green pecan before and the flavor is great. But I use it mixed in with seasoned wood to keep a good bed of coals in my stickburner and not to overpower the food with smoke.

Back