Brined Chicken Breasts

K

kcquer

Finally took time to get in a little chicken practice this weekend. Practice round was an awesome success. Juicier chicken than I've ever made by any method including frying!

Brine was simple, 2qts water, 6 tbsp ea- Kosher salt (use 3 of table salt if you don't have kosher on hand) and brown sugar. I added 1Tbsp ea- garlic powder and onion powder for flavor (I'll be experimenting further with the flavors). Brined for 1 hour and 5-10 mins. Patted dry and used Tony C's for a rub.

Cooking technique was provided by Jim Minion. Thanks Jim, worked like a dream, even where I screwed up.

Cooked @ 250-275 with cherry and sasafrass. Jim suggested pulling @ 157 and not allowing to exceed 165. Well... I got distracted by friends dropping by and didn't get back to my chicken until they were well past that. The 5 split breasts I had ranged from 170-185 internal when I got them out. Even the donest one was very juicy and flavorful. Best chicken I ever made.
If you haven't brined a boobie, ya gotta try this.

Jim thanks again and please feel free to elaborate on the instructions.

Three word.

Brining Is Better! Unless i didnt plan ahead... I always brine birds... parts, breasts or whole. Learned early on that brining will always produce a better product. For anyone interested.... here is a post that gives the scientific reasoning behind brining. Osmosis, expansion of cells, higher salinity outside than inside cause the meat to draw in the moisture.. all that boring stuff, but if you ointerested in the science behind it, here it is..
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2#5

Excellent info KC!!! I wouldn't mind this getting added to the Roadmap!
Make it easier to find next spring come competition time.
Thanks KC!! Thanks JM!!

KC

Brinning adds protection and flavor two good conditions. One thing to consider before you brine, that the chicken is NOT solution added. Solution added birds are not a good choice cause I want to decide what's added.

The fact that something happens during the cook and you got these results says a lot about the science.

Back