Trimming prior to comp, how do you "re-wrap"?

Buckshot Malone

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
For those of you that trim your meat prior to arriving at the competition, what do you use to re-wrap your ribs, chicken, etc.?

Thanks.

those big ziplock bags, 2 1/2 gallon (I believe) bags does a great job, so does foodsaver bags. I have heard that you can use unscented kitchen trash bags, but I wouldn't.

For chicken we use 2.5 gallon Zip Loc bags. For ribs I have been foodsavering them.

Brisket and Pork are not pre trimmed under our process, and arrive in the cryovacs.

I've been using the 2 1/2 gallon zip bags and then put them inside bigger trash bags (unscented) just in case.

Ribs and Chix get wrapped in food saver bags and vacuum sealed, pork and brisket get trimmed on site.

Foodsaver bags for anything that doesn't stay in cryo.

I use the xl storage bags. I can only find them at Target. Kind of pricey but what in competition bbq isn't!!!

I pretrim all meats and repack tighly in plastic wrap and 2.5 gallon zip lock bags.

Chicken I trim and then put in Foodsaver bags to freeze. Ribs, brisket and pork are trimmed a day or two before comp and put in the jumbo 2 gallon zip lock bags. I use frozen gel packs to keep cold so no worry about thawed water coming in contact with the meat.

Back