First Post, what should I buy

I would keep an eye on Craigslist for used offsets if that is the way you want to go. I understand the thought process. I joined here ealier this year and went through the same thing. Everyone recommended a WSM or a UDS. But I really wanted the experience of an offset. I bought a used OK Joe for $140. Saved enough with the same budget you had to build a mini WSM for $70 and buy a Weber Master Touch for $20.

I don't know if you want to use an offset for a charcoal grill. I know you can but you will constantly be cleaning up a mess. With weber kettles so cheap used there is no reason to. Just my opinion. :becky:

But don't give up on CL. I have seen a lot of smokers on CL for NH/VT/MA this summer. You just need to keep an eye out for them. You want one that is at least 1/8" steel and not the cheaper models...
why would it be more difficult to clean this than any other charcoal grill?

I got a Trailmaster for father's day.Works pretty well without any mods.I used to have new braunfels offset with some mods that i competed with.Also I have cooked on everything from large open grills(5' x 10') to a med Spicewine and 2 dif types of stumps.Iyou want an offset get the trailmaster its not as bad as some people think.

I'd def. recommend a WSM:

- Right in your budget range.
- Ready to go out of the box, no mods necessary.
- Easy to learn, with a massive, resourceful online community.
- Easy to set up, break down, clean and store.
- Doesn't take up a lot of space when it's in-use.
- Lasts forever and built rock-solid.
- Fuel efficient with lump or briqs.
- Good amount of cooking space.
- Fire management is fast and simple.
- Great resale value if you ever want to upgrade.

I looked at the weber performer. How is it used as a smoker? Do you burn the charcoal in that bin on the lower right hand side?

I use mine all the time, i banks some coals on one side and i use a couple of bricks as a barrier and heat sink and place food on other side of grill. Here is a photo of my setup from smoking a roast. You can see the coals, bricks next to them, There is also that aluminum foil you see i was using that to block any direct heat from the coals- a have just started setting a couple of bricks above the bottom ones instead to achieve this. I also cover the half of the great under food with foil to help airflow and usueally i have a pan under it as well. This sounds like a lot maybe, but once youve done it, it really is simple

Attachments

• weber setup.jpg
    weber setup.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 28
Back