Garnish questions

Dirt Road BBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
My first competition is this weekend in a small town. Not sure if the local grocery store will have enough curly leaf lettuce and parsley in stock for all the competitors. If I buy it on Thursday and keep it in a cold cooler, will it keep until Saturday's turn-ins or do I send someone out the morning of the turn-in and hope for the best? Temperatures will be around 100 degrees with high humidity.

parsley will last a long long time as long as it is kept somewhat cold.

when ready to prepare your boxes, shock it in some ice water. it will perk and green right up.

I buy ours at home so we don't have to worry about sourcing garnish on the road.
It rides in a dedicated cooler: a layer of ice on the bottom, paper towels or plastic trash bag over that, then garnish, then another layer of paper towels or plastic trash bag, then some ice on top.

It'll be happy for a couple days in the cooler easy, but it'll get wilty fast once you pull it out in that weather, so pull out only what you need at any one time, and prep those boxes quickly! Then slam them back in the cooler until you need them.

Back