Thread: Thighs
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Thighs go for 3-4 hours at 210-220...

For any kind of chicken. I take it to 90% cooked.. then work on the skin....

If Im cooking in the horizontal, i bring the bird or parts closer to the hot spot to crispy up the skin. If Im cookin in the Bandera, I remove the waterpan and bring the food down to the shelf that was just above the waterpan. I'f im doing parts, they go skin side down when they move to the hotter part of the chamber.

I tried the "finish" on the grill a few times, didnt like it when i finished on the propane, cause the thighs tasted like grilled chicken.. the charring kind of masked the BBQ flavor.

For chicken parts, If Im not using the hot spot, and the wife wants the skin real crispy, my favorite way is to finish them in the very top of the firebox, with the lid closed and a small amount of hot coals going down below and far away.. Really crispys the skin up nice, without charring them and getting that grilled flavor. As long as the firebox is hot, that skin gets crispy brown in under 2 minutes.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote