Grilled Corn Soaking Liquid

Nope.
I just leave some of the husk on, soak it in a 5 gallon pail and grill it.
I bet a guy could play with that a little and add seasoning to the water to see if it makes a difference though.

Ive done sweet corn with the husks on.........in the oven and on my bbq pit.
No soaking of the ears.

Oven method=350 degrees for half an hour, Alton Brown method.
Pit method=250 degrees hour and a half, my method.

The outside husks turn dark brown, the silk basically sticks to the husks when you peel the husks off.

We do this a lot when sweet corn is in season here and we have had lots of great compliments and zero complaints.

Last edited:
Nope.
I just leave some of the husk on, soak it in a 5 gallon pail and grill it.
I bet a guy could play with that a little and add seasoning to the water to see if it makes a difference though.

maybe Old Bay or Zatarain's Crab Boil would do well

I grill husk off then baste with a butter/garlic cilantro mix and sometimes a shake of rub on top of that.

I remove the husk and silk, spiral wrap with bacon, light sprinkle of Plowboys then wrap in foil. Put on smoker for about 1 hour.

NUTZ

Last edited:
I grill husk on after soaking with silk up in water. I have tried adding salt to the water but could not tell the difference. The only reason you add the water is to steam the corn in the husk and to stop the husk from burning too bad.

I have tried peeling the husk back, adding butter and seasoning to the corn then putting the husk back. It was good, but a pain to do and a mess to shuck after cooking.

Water and corn for me.:rolleyes:

Zatarain's is an interesting thought. Kind of like a crawfish boil. If you use that, use the liquid, not the seasoning bag. Might try it on my next cook.

Although never tried it....I know some that soak in beer....soak for 2 hours, then grill or smoke....I just soak in water, grill with husks on, the bruch with lime/butter/cilantro mix....ummmm gooood:-D

Tony Cs Spicy is good on the corn, wrapped in foil with butter and the seasoning. My wife just doesn't like taking the husks off after grilling any more.

i take half the husk off, soak, then grill directly until the husk chars. this gives it a taste i like. keeps the kernnels crunchy. just butter and salt for me, thank you.

I've tried using salt water. You can taste it after cooking, but it still needs more salt at the table.

Back