How far have you driven for barbecue?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
How far have you driven for barbecue at a restaurant ? I’m not talking about being in another state and just happen to go into a place. I’m talking about planning a trip specifically for eating at the joint.

Most of the KC joints I’ve been too falls in the “another state” category. Same for Nashville and Memphis. We were driving by from a trip and stopped for lunch. Great barbecue was devoured but it was not the final destination.

I can only put La Barbecue (because I was sure Franklin was too busy) and yes, The Salt Lick in Driftwood as the farthest I’ve driven. Both times we would eat there and find something else to do. That takes me to the 3.5-4 hours or 250 mile range. Can I do better than this?

Now that I’m in Georgia I wanted to go to Lewis Barbecue for some Texas style meat (man I miss Texas) or try out Rodney Scott’s but I wimped out both times (most recent was this weekend). Wife even had her aunt scheduled to watch the kids so I can go by myself but I rationalized myself out of it. Would the plan really be to drive 280 miles to Charleston, eat myself into a coma, and drive back? Who does that?

I have not put on any dedicated BBQ miles, but I have recently been considering a 3-4 day road trip through N Carolina just to pig out on NC chopped pork. Which reminds me that I need to get started on a list of NC joints.

Eva Mae’s Lubbock TX
280 round trip.

Have you been to Heirloom Market in north Atlanta yet? Check them on Yelp and FB.

https://heirloommarketbbq.com/

If you do, I recommend the spicy Korean pulled pork sandwich with kimchi cole slaw. Damn

Last edited:
I have a general rule. If i want to travel just to eat something, i don't want to be hungry by the time i get home. If that's the case, its too far.

I have a general rule. If i want to travel just to eat something, i don't want to be hungry by the time i get home. If that's the case, its too far.

Most times I leave places with something to go. It’s what happens when your order a sample platter to try everything they got.

Eva Mae’s Lubbock TX
280 round trip.

Have you been to Heirloom Market in north Atlanta yet? Check them on Yelp and FB.

https://heirloommarketbbq.com/

If you do, I recommend the spicy Korean pulled pork sandwich with kimchi cole slaw. Damn

Not yet. I’ve only tried Foggy Bottom here in Loganville. It was okay. My brisket was cut with the grain but the deep fried ribs were excellent.

I took a trip near San Antonio only to find the city didn't have a lot of BBQ Restaurants so we traveled about 73 miles to Lockheart to fulfill or desire for BBQ.

In defense of San Antonio they have a great selection of Tex-Mex Restaurants with great food, some good steakhouses, and I did find two good BBQ places there after our two day trip to Lockheart.

However this summer I am planning a trip just to sample BBQ Joints in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and ending with our final stop at "The Shed"

Dallas to Austin a few times to visit Franklin, Snows, etc.

Did so Dallas to KC for a weekend meeting my brother who lives in Wisconsin to drop something off. Wasn't really necessary, but gave us a good excuse.

Took a trip to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que a couple years ago. About 700 miles round trip.
www.dinosaurbarbque.com/syracuse/ BBQ + Blues sounded like a good time. Food was great. By the time the band started we stayed for 2 songs the went back to the hotel.

To answer the original question, maybe 8 miles? There are many great Q places nearby, not to mention my backyard.

5.5 hrs or so. That’s about how far I am from Austin and I’ve driven to Austin and Lockhart multiple times just to eat BBQ.

1086 miles round trip, and I made the trip twice!
From Conroe, TX to Evie Mae's in Wolfforth, TX (Lubbock).
There are so many other trips with more joints and more mileage accumulated, but that's the single farthest A to B trip I've made.

IMG_2215 copy.jpg

I've never done this. I've been to several but only because I'm there and have time. Usually while driving for work. Being within an hour of Austin, Taylor, Elgin etc and having offices in all those towns has me spoiled.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dang, I don't even know where to start. There are been so many trips for BBQ. Just recently, I had a meeting in Houston and I flew in and out of Austin. My supervisor raised an eyebrow when he looked at my flights and I said I needed a BBQ fix. He was ok with that. Honesty is the best policy. :thumb:

Back